Can't find folder

Thread: Can't find folder

Can't find folder

See pic. Everything sees a folder on I:\ called Boot with a Macrium folder inside it, but as you can see from the File Explorer display, it's not visible. I'm showing hidden files and folders and I even tried showing protected OS files but it still didn't become visible. By double clicking the folder in Everything, I can get to that location but I'm curious about why I can't see it.

Thanks - rev
    Attached Images Attached Images

For this and your other problem, which I think are related, try booting into Safe Mode. See what you have then for disks, files, and folders. I am betting on a Macrium image or special backup folder/drive/location.

I just took a good look around in the BIOS and I couldn't find a trace of the missing drive, so there goes my theory. I'll try Safe Mode, I agree that the issues are probably related.

I'd temp uninstall Macrium and see what happens. If it's a paid version make sure you keep a copy of any license/key info. When it's uninstalled do a file search for any .mrimg files which are the extensions of Macrium backup images if a) they still exist and b) didn't get deleted along with Macrium uninstall. It/they will be very large so hard to miss.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

>I'd temp uninstall Macrium and see what happens.
    That's the first thing I did, it hasn't been on the system since you joined the conversation. I just finished pedalling around in Safe Mode, everything is exactly the same. I grabbed some details that were listed in Properties/Events tab and some crap from Event Viewer in case it helps.

What about some kind of surface test? It would have to report a 'read error' at the very least. Got a suggestion?

No .mrimg files found.

Did you try Safe Mode? Chances are there is a Macrium or related Service still installed and running.

>Did you try Safe Mode?
    Yeah, see above. I found nothing different, no Macrium service, no image files. Here's the results of a Verify test by HDD Scan:

NVMe INTEL SSDPEKNW01-TEST.mht
    HDDScan Drive Test Report
    Model: NVMe INTEL SSDPEKNW01
    Firmware: 002C
    Serial:
    LBA: 2000409264

Report By: HDDSCAN v4.1
    Report Date: 3/24/2022 8:42:51 AM

Open Disk
    Test : VR-Verify

Executing
    100%
    --------------
    It gets more and more strange! The disk is definitely not attached, I'm booting from its replacement and there's no mention of it in the BIOS.
    Last edited by Reverend; March 24th, 2022 at 11:51 AM.

The next question is how do I get rid of a drive that isn't there?

Why was HDD Scan able to do a Verify test? It couldn't be reading from an image because an image doesn't have a surface!

Can you format an image? That's all I can think of to try next but if I successfully format a drive that isn't there, I might have to go back to the Shaolin Temple...
    Last edited by Reverend; March 24th, 2022 at 12:05 PM.

An SSD does not have a surface either.

When you replaced the SSD, what did you replace it with? Another SSD of the same make and model?

What does Disk Management show for drives?

https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10...and%20tap%20OK.

The missing drive was an Intel M1 Nve or similar, and the replacement is a Kingston M2

>What does Disk Management show for drives?
    Attached
    Attached Images Attached Images

OK, that is definitely looking strange.

The I: drive is on Disk 0.
    The top section shows it as having a capacity of 1014.38 GB with 837.87 GB (83%) free.
    The bottom section shows it as 1863 GB.

Disk 3 appears to be your boot drive (C

Disk 4 has a System Reserved partition, and 2 other partitions, and looks like what a Windows 10 boot drive might look like.

OK, so I'm not crazy, something is going on! I hadn't even noticed the conflicting sizes and I've no idea how H:\ came into existence or why.

Disk 4 is one that's not attached.

Is it possible you used Macrium to clone the disk to one of your other drives rather than make a backup to a file?

https://pureinfotech.com/clone-windo...crium-reflect/

I was booting from an HDD when the SDD arrived. I imaged the HDD to the new SDD and began to boot from it. All that went flawlessly and I was quite impressed, then I noticed that Z:\, F:\ and G:\ drives were still represented in Disk Manager and in Macrium. My Z390-E mobo only has one slot for an M1 or M2 SDD so when Disk Manager continued to report that it was still there, I knew it couldn't be true. I thought an old entry in the BIOS was being picked up and passed to Disk Man, then Macrium was building its summary from Disk Man. In that way I could see how the mistake was being passed on and I felt sure that once the reference to it in the BIOS was gone, the whole system would straighten up and fly right. That doesn't appear to be true now, I couldn't find any reference to the missing disk in the BIOS.

There seems to be a problem with whatever mechanism updates disk information. Macrium support people are probably not the developers but they claimed Macrium was reading the physical disks when you boot or click Refresh, but that can't be true if the disk isn't attached. I need to make a bunch of images but I was afraid to continue because Macrium wasn't giving me the truth.

How do you suggest I proceed? Is it safe to make other images when I've already got two false entries? (I don't know how H:\ was created).

This is quite odd. If it were my computer I'd disconnect all the drives (incl cd/dvd) except the boot/system drive and boot it up and see how that works on its own and have a look to see if any other drives are mistakenly shown as connected. Then I'd add each drive one at a time after shutting down first each time and see what results I get in the disk management display info and take screenshots. Worth noting, as you probably already have, the icon for H: indicates a cd/dvd drive.

Thread Information