Cable Modem

Thread: Cable Modem

Cable Modem

Why is it that when I unplug and replug my cable modem, it takes at least 10 minutes before it stables out? Once plugged back in, it would cycle a few times. I don't recall it doing this in the past. Is this signs of defect and time to get a new cable modem?
    Originally wanted Millenium Falcon as nick but there is character limitation.
    Falcon Speed = Millenium Falcon = Light Speed

Why are you unplugging the modem? You can have a look at its internal log files but usually they're a little cryptic and don't offer a lot of info. If you're having connectivity problems you should call your ISP and they can have a look at their own log info which is more extensive than what is on the modem itself.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

My modem is working fine. Only when I unplug it and replug it back in, then it takes 10 minutes. I am unplugging my modem because I am testing out my new router. I don't know if I need to unplug the modem but thought I cycled it properly.

I will call my isp tomorrow. Thanks

I don't know if I need to unplug the modem
    Under normal circumstances you'd only need to reboot it if you were having problems with it and/or your ISP asked you to to try and solve/diagnose said issues.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

My experience with cable companies is that 10 minutes or more to get a cable box or cable modem rebooted and properly communicating with the cable company's systems is not out of the ordinary. I have all of my networking equipment and cable boxes on UPS systems to help avoid issues with this.

Thanks Fink and JDC.

Thread Information