Dual Boot

Thread: Dual Boot

Dual Boot

I have done a dual boot in the past, like 20 years ago. I have not had a need for it since I have been using swap drives (pullout trays).

I will be buying a laptop soon and unfortunately, I will not be able to swap drives.

Should I just format the drive to have two partitions and then installed Windows 10 on both partitions? Will this automatically give me the dual boot screen or do I need to do anything else or additional software like Acronis Drive Manager?

Thank You
    Originally wanted Millenium Falcon as nick but there is character limitation.
    Falcon Speed = Millenium Falcon = Light Speed

What about Windows 11 and why do you need the same OS two times. (just curious)
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Steve, my current setup for my desktop includes one pullout drive is for the main stuffs and another pullout drive is just for gaming.

I avoid leaving my main stuffs and gaming on the same drive, mainly because I restore the image for the game drive pretty often as I play different games.

As for why not Windows 11? My msdn account does have Windows 11 but a few months ago, trying to install it on my desktop, JDC helped me realized that my motherboard is too old to support uefi which I believe is a requirement of Windows 11. Yes, a new laptop should be able to handle Windows 11.

Just want to give an update on this in case someone else needs this.

I did get the dual boot to be successful with my above requests. Basically,

STEP 01: Install Windows 10 as normal but allocate only half of the drive to this first instance.
    STEP 02: After the installation of the first instance, Install Windows 10 as normal but for the remaining unallocated space. Once this reboot, it will automatically take you to Windows Dual Boot screen so that you can select.

FYI... You do have a choice to change the default OS and the automatic load time (30 seconds default).

Instead of doing a dual boot, it maybe more convenient for me to install windows on a SSD (USB 3.0 Enclosure) and play my games from there. I would select that drive during the boot screen. Yes, the performance will be much slower on a USB 3.0 but at least, don't have to do this dual boot. Just a thought.

I think it would depend a lot on what kind of games you're playing. Things that don't rely on speed or quick reactions like card games, board games, guessing games etc would probably be ok but shooting, sports, racing etc would be pretty much impossible due to the lag time accessing the drive via USB.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Yes, I agree Fink.

I usually play RTS such as Men of War, Stronghold, etc... The latest MOW has become graphic intensive because it can switch between RTS and first person mode. Perhaps you are correct that it may not make it on an usb ssd. Maybe I will do a dual boot after all.

Thread Information