question about multi-gig

Thread: question about multi-gig

question about multi-gig

I just upgraded the nics on 2 pc's to 2.5gb. I got a 2.5gb switch. It's plugged in to just a regular 1gb ethernet port. The 2 pc's with the 2.5gb nics are plugged into the switch, which I thought they'd be able to transfer at the faster speed, but they don't. Doing research, it seems like it's because the router ethernet port is just a gigabit port.
    So I'm getting a new router that has a 2.5gb ethernet port. I have the 2.5gb switch that'll be plugged directly in to the 2.5gb port. There are a few other gigabit switches. With the 2.5gb nics plugged in to the 2.5gb switch, which will be plugged in to the 2.5gb port, will I get the full 2.5gb speed? Or will the fact that there are other switches keep me from getting full speed?

Don't forget the cables and hard drives play a vital role... Take a peek at the following:

Understanding LAN Network Data Transfer Speeds
    https://www.online-tech-tips.com/com...0to%208%20MBps.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

It would help if you gave us the make/model of your multigig switch.

It sounds like you are connecting a multigig switch to a 1Gb router/switch. And then the multigig switch is auto-negotiating down to 1Gb. Did you try disconnecting from the 1Gb router/switch, setting static IPs, and then testing the transfer speed?

You didn't give us the make/model of the new router you ordered either. It should be able to isolate the multigig ports from the 1Gb ports, but you'd need to check the manual or confirm with the vendor.

The new switch is a TP-Link TL-SG105-M2. The new router is an ASUS RT-AX86U. It has a dedicated 2.5gb LAN port. I'm using cat6 cables everywhere. My main question is will having the 1gb switches in the network chain prevent getting the 2.5gb speeds between the computers that have the 2.5gb nics? I'd like to think in theory it wouldn't, since they'll be plugged in to the 2.5gb switch, which will be plugged in to the 2.5gb port on the router. Those 2 computers won't be interfacing/interacting/connected to the 1gb switches, so it would be great to get as close to the 2.5gb speed between the computers as possible. I'd hate to have to replace the other three 1gb switches I have just to get the 2.5gb speed between 2 devices. I'd cry and be poor. Poorer.

Supposedly, the switch should be able to automatically sense the speeds and adjust accordingly.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/tp...witches-in-usa

If you already have the hardware, the simple way to find out would be to test the speeds with some file transfers.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/network-...network-speed/

https://superuser.com/questions/1275...puter-in-a-lan

I don't have the router yet. It's getting here saturday. I'm just impatient and want to know what to expect. Google results haven't answered the question exactly so I was hoping someone here would know.

I don't see specifics in the manual, but the Asus router should isolate the 2.5 multigig network from the 1Gb network. I.E. you can still use the 1Gb ports on the new router, while keeping the 2.5 switch and clients on the 2.5Gb multigig port. Just don't plug any 1Gb clients into the TP-Link switch.

just following this up to close it off. the delay was from getting in all the parts for my new computer and putting it together. it has a 2.5gb nic in it too. I'm getting faster transfer speeds now. one thing that's odd to me is I have 2 other computers in the network. one has an older 8 core amd processor with 32gb of ram. the other has an intel i5 with 12gb of ram. I'm getting faster transfer on files from the intel pc. not going to worry too much about it. thanks for all the help!

Maximum network speed can only be as fast as the slowest part in your network can handle.

A chain's strength is only as strong as it's weakest link.

Thread Information