SSD

Thread: SSD

SSD

What ho one and all,

Perhaps I'm dreaming? Although I have an old computer, bought in the days so XP, I have upgraded to W7 and 8gb RAM and it is running pretty nicely.

I don't need to but it would be nice if it booted and loaded programs faster and the way to do this, seems to be install an SDD for the os.

Reading various links from Google searching, I would have to change a BIOS setting from SATA to AHCI.

During booting this morning, I went into the BIOS and can find nothing relating the AHCI. Does this imply that my old Dell (Dimension 9200) cannot boot from a SDD?

Thanks and toodle pip

I'm guessing that system is so old that it only has SATA I or II at best. If there is no AHCI mode, then it's going to run in Legacy SATA aka IDE mode.

You could probably run a SSD, but the performance would be limited. It would still be faster than a HDD, but it wouldn't reach its maximum potential.

Thanks. Pretty much what I thought. With our energy prices due to rise around 80% in the coming months, probably do not need to spend money on something that I don't really need.

You may consider changing the motherboard to a slightly newer one. The one that would have the AHCI mode.

Thanks for the suggestion. Don't think it is worth the effort.

The older model that I fancy is an HP Z240, plenty of space for HDD and the current refurbed one from Morgan Computers comes with 512gb SSD.

Thread Information