[RESOLVED] Laptop stuck on shut down says "do not turn off etc" 45 minutes

Thread: [RESOLVED] Laptop stuck on shut down says "do not turn off etc" 45 minutes

Resolved [RESOLVED] Laptop stuck on shut down says "do not turn off etc" 45 minutes

My wife;'s laptop won't shut down. It says "do not turn off computer" and it has stayed that way for an hour. No combination of contl/alt/delte does anything at all. I'm stuck.
    It's a two year old Aspire w/win 10. What to do next?

Does it also say "Installing Updates". I am betting it does. Make sure it has the AC adapter/charger plugged in. Let it go for several hours. In fact, I would let it go for at least 24 hours. If it has still not finished at that point, then you will have to use the power button to shut it down (hold it in for 30-60 seconds). Boot it back up and see if it boots properly or blue-screens. Make a note of any error messages you see, just in case.

If you decide to power it off sooner, it is possible that you may end up with an un-bootable system. You could try observing the hard drive activity light for a few minutes (like watching paint dry) to see if there appears to be any activity. No activity for a prolonged period probably indicates the that update process has encountered a problem.

It was updating. I'm not used to laptops, and I've never seen an update take so long. It's my wife's computer and I'm going to show her settings in her Control Panel, etc. If it had said "installing updates" I wouldn't have been concerned. It simply said "do not turn off computer". All is ok now. And thank you JDC2000 and everyone here for years of support!

Thanks for the update. At least it finally finished.

I have had some Windows 10 updates take 18 hours or longer on some desktop and laptop systems.

this is a common problem among laptop users.

Thread Information