LPT1 to USB

Thread: LPT1 to USB

LPT1 to USB

What ho one and all,

I setting up an 'all in one' computer for my wife, the issue of it having only USB ports to connect to our HP 4050 Lazerjet printer which has LPT1 terminals arises.

I see that I can buy a USB to female LPT1 cable, but I also see that they are listed as 25 or 36 pin and or called printer or parallel cables.

Problem is, I don't know what I currently have!!! Given that USB only has 4 (or maybe 5 if the outer metal is the earth) connections, does 25 or 36 pin converter make any difference?

Thanks

Cable Converters have always been "iffy." Most of the time there isn't one standard that everyone uses....

But one of the cables and if it doesn't work - return it for the other.

Check the connector on the LaserJet. Count the pins. If it has 25 then you need the 25 pin D-Sub cable (check whether you need a male or female end - probably male), otherwise, you would need the 36 pin Centronics type.

Thanks. Rather obvious really!!! I have a box that both our computers plug into, and that goes to the printer. Need about a 2 meter with female which seems difficult to find. Otherwise, a shorter length to extend the existing cable to the new computer, USB to male.

Alternatively female to USB and a USB extender, which I have somewhere as a spare.
    Last edited by Rekusu; February 1st, 2022 at 08:18 AM.

a USB extender
    They're pretty cheap. I bought a 6 footer last year for around 4 dollars at a local computer store.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I have a box that both our computers plug into, and that goes to the printer.
    This would have been good to know in your initial post. That is probably a USB hub, (just guessing though).

At this point, I have no idea what you really need. More details would be helpful.

Note that there is a length limit for both parallel and USB cables.

Thread Information