Adding a Second Router.

Thread: Adding a Second Router.

Second Router (Accessing Configuration Page)

I was going to add a managed switch but after thinking about it, I decided to buy a second router and take advantage of the WIFI.

I was able to added a second router (WAN port) to the first router (LAN port) successfully. WIFI is working for both.

Before I connected the ethernet cable between the two routers, I did have to plug each router (LAN port) into my computer and did the configurations for the WIFI.

So the question is, when I do the configuration for each router, do I have to plug it directly into my computer? Yes, I can always access the first router because the computer is always connected to it through ethernet cable. The question is there a way to access the second router login page since it is connected to the first router? Putting in the second router's IP Address only timed out.

The first router and second router has different IP Address.

What I have tried so far for the Second router:

• Turned Off DHCP
    • Turned Off UPnP
    • Updated the Internet Gateway to match the IP Address of the First router.

Did not work.
    Last edited by Falcon Speed; January 24th, 2022 at 08:48 AM.
    Originally wanted Millenium Falcon as nick but there is character limitation.
    Falcon Speed = Millenium Falcon = Light Speed

I was able to added a second router (WAN port)
    You shouldn't be using the WAN port on the second router. You'd need to connect from a LAN port on the main router to a LAN port on the second router.

http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

So the question is, when I do the configuration for each router, do I have to plug it directly into my computer?
    No, you should have already set the second router to an IP that is in the same range as the main router. You should be able to access either router from the network.

Ex. Main = 192.168.1.1, Second = 192.168.1.2

Thanks midknyte.

I will try it out tonight and let you know.

quick checklist:
    Primary router = router1
    Secondary router = router2

Change IP on router2 to be within subnet of router1 (Ex. router1 = 192.168.1.1 and router2 = 192.168.1.2)
    Disable DHCP on router2
    SSIDs and passwords should be the SAME on both routers
    WIFI channels should be DIFFERENT for both routers (Ex. 2.4GHz router1 = CH1, router2 = CH11, 5GHz router1 = CH149, router2 = CH165)
    Connect from LAN on router1 to LAN on router2

Does ssid and password absolutely have to be the same?

Dies channels have to be different?

I will do your checklist.

Thank you MidKnyte!

Does ssid and password absolutely have to be the same?
    If you want to seamlessly change between access points. Why wouldn't you want them to be the same? It's the same network.

Dies channels have to be different?
    You don't want overlapping channels. They will interfere with each other. It's the same reason you don't use the same channels as your neighbors.

MidKnyte, I finally to go this tonight. When I did your quick checklist, on the LAN IP Address, I got a message that it is conflicting with the WAN IP Address. As a matter of fact, I did not even make any changes and try to do an update on the LAN page and still got the same page.

There is an Advance page where there are modes: Router, Access Point, Bridge

Do I need to turn on one of those modes?

I'm not sure why you'd get a conflict with the WAN address. You didn't say which router, but your internal LAN IPs should not be on the same subnet as the WAN IPs in the first place.

ISP >> Modem >> WAN port of Main router

Main router LAN port >> Second router LAN port (do NOT use WAN port on the second router)

You didn't give any make/model of the routers, so I can only guess.
    If anything, you could use "Access Point" mode on the second router. Router is "normal" router mode. Bridge would be to link 2 routers together as a dedicated bridge (no clients).

Thread Information