Is it time to make the jump for a gamer? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it time to make the jump for a gamer?

FYI...

In Windows 11, text file association no longer works at commandline or registry. Have to associate by right click on the text file and "Open With".

This will no longer work.

https://techexpert.tips/windows/wind...n-command-line

ftype txtfile="C:\Program Files (x86)\NotePadReplacement\notepad++.exe" "%1"
    Originally wanted Millenium Falcon as nick but there is character limitation.
    Falcon Speed = Millenium Falcon = Light Speed

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    That workaround may not work in the future
    So what is the alternative OS that resemble close to Windows? When this happens, I prefer an alternative.

It is their products and they have the right to change their login just like when we use other software. But I wonder if we have to be connected to the internet each time when we log on which is silly.

I do have a Microsoft account (MSDN).
    Last edited by Falcon Speed; May 17th, 2022 at 04:52 PM.

If you have to have an internet connection to log on to Windows 11 every time, then laptops would be useless with Windows 11. It is only during setup that you need a connection. Personally, I would use a temporary Microsoft account to set up Windows 11 if necessary, and then set up a local account and purge all traces of the Microsoft account before using the computer for anything.

It might be time to start looking at Linux Mint (with the Cinnamon desktop) or Ubuntu Linux for daily use, especially on systems where you do not need any software that only runs on Windows.

Have you actually tested the Command Prompt file association change on Windows 11? If not please post any links where you saw that this was not working.

Link I found:

https://thegeekpage.com/fix-file-typ...in-windows-10/

I have not yet built my Windows 11 test system, so I cannot test this as yet. I still need some memory and a CPU for it.

If you have to have an internet connection to log on to Windows 11 every time, then laptops would be useless with Windows 11. It is only during setup that you need a connection.
    OK, that makes sense.

Personally, I would use a temporary Microsoft account to set up Windows 11 if necessary, and then set up a local account and purge all traces of the Microsoft account before using the computer for anything.
    Smart

It might be time to start looking at Linux Mint (with the Cinnamon desktop) or Ubuntu Linux for daily use, especially on systems where you do not need any software that only runs on Windows.
    I wrote most of my personal software about 20 years ago. I am pretty sure they will not run on anything except Windows.

Have you actually tested the Command Prompt file association change on Windows 11?
    I have and it did not work.

This is the command line syntax in my previous post:
    Code:
    ftype txtfile="C:\Program Files (x86)\NotePadReplacement\notepad++.exe" "%1"

Linux does have some software that allows you to run many Windows programs. What did you use to write your Windows software?

On your command line method for changing file associations, that may or may not be fixed at some point in Windows 11. Windows 11 is still really beta software. It has major changes on a regular basis.

What did you use to write your Windows software?
    Visual Basic and C++

I should convert them to .Net Core (Cross Platform) but it will take time.

Thread Information