Bitdefender free a/v to be discontinued

Thread: Bitdefender free a/v to be discontinued

Bitdefender free a/v to be discontinued

I recieved an email notice today that Bitdefender is ending it's free a/v version as of end of December. I haven't used it in about 10 months for various reasons but I still get emails from them. I haven't seen this notice on line so if anyone is using Bitdefender free you'll need to find another free solution.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Itís especially hard with a product as popular as our Free Edition has been in recent years.
    Since early 2020, we have had to weather immense changes in our industry; changes that upended many of our cherished plans for product development.
    Sadly, Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition has been a casualty of those changes.
    As of 1st of January 2022, Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition will officially be discontinued and no longer available for use."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Don't believe everything you think.

Yes, I received the same notification a couple days ago. It's always a hassle to change a significant and necessary application in my system, but I guess it must be done.

This leads, of course, to the question of what to replace Bitdefender with. I haven't kept up with the current "best" antivirus programs, so have no idea which free antivirus program to turn to. I'd be happy to listen to any suggestions. I previously used AVAST, but switched when I read that they were selling user data. That's my recollection at any rate of why I switched.

I'm running Windows 7 on an old Dell desktop. Some might call it ancient. I'm also running Malwarebytes to complete my "protection".

I chose Sophos free version on my Win 7 systems. I'd been using Avast for quite a while but switched a couple of years ago when they started to include so many add-ons it was taking over my desktop and their popup ads were exceptionally annoying. I liked Bitdefender but there were some ongoing update issues a while back.

Microsoft's own Security Essentials was popular but it's no longer fully supported on Windows 7.

Thank you Sir.

You're welcome

Thread Information