What's the best way to solve a C5 access violation?

Thread: What's the best way to solve a C5 access violation?

What's the best way to solve a C5 access violation?

It's a Sonar plug, I could install it again but would it make any difference?

Got another one, if a program can't write to a folder (and it wants to) how do I grant it permission? (Keyscape says the STEAM folder isn't writeable0

Thanks - rev

>More details please.
    The Sonar plugs giving me problems are Omnisphere, Trilian and Keyscape. When I invoke them, the error is instantaneous, the file does't even open. I've got a hunch it's because I moved the .dlls from the default Steinberg folder instead of specifying Cakewalk\vstplugins - but I can't give you any evidence.

Check the permissions on the folder where they are supposed to be and make sure that the folder where you moved them has the same permissions (for each user). Or, alternatively, put the files back where they are supposed to be and where the application expects to find them.

So you think I'm onto something with that theory?

Application programmers generally allow you to place your user files wherever you want them, however, they may not be as generous with files that are actually add-ins for the program code. They may want those to be placed in whatever location they created for them, for a variety of reasons not readily apparent to anyone unfamiliar with the program's code. While you may be able to move those files, doing so may make them unusable by the application, resulting in an error message. Program .dll files are not normally something you would want to move.

I can see all that being true but moving them is very common. I guess it depends on whether you have a sensitive app or not.

>Why would you want to move them?
    Just a sense of tidiness, one correct path instead of multiple paths for different vendor folders.

>Previously when I upgraded to a new computer I have copied the whole VST folder structure to the new computer (with an ultimate different location), and it worked, other than I had to re-install some of the plugins that come with installers.
    I did the same as this guy who said that in the link you provided. Only I got access violations from everything, reinstalling fixed them all and I didn't save much time with the copy method.

Program .dll files usually have to be "registered" in order for them to work. If you register them, and then later move them, presto - no worky. They can sometimes be moved to a different folder, then installed and registered and they will work, but there are no guarantees.

You may find that you have 2 choices:

1. Have the files in the folders you want, so they look "organized".
    2. Have the files where the program coders expect to find them, and they work.

>You may find that you have 2 choices:
    Yeah, thanks dude. I've had so much trouble that I'm now going for a dual boot with everything installed correctly on both win 10 and win 7. If one falls over, I can boot to the other and carry on working.

Thread Information