Cannot reset Google password, yes I spoke with Google

Thread: Cannot reset Google password, yes I spoke with Google

Angry Cannot reset Google password, yes I spoke with Google

Windows 10 PC, AMD 8-core 4.4 GHz, 32GB RAM, two 1-TB M.2 drives
    Firefox (latest version 94.0.1)

*** I want to say ahead of time, I am quite computer knowledgeable in many ways; I have built my own PCs since the mid-90s. However, my knowledge of networking security etc. is only very basic.

I hadn't logged out of Gmail for ages, so when I closed it and started it again, I couldn't get the Google password correct. After trying many times over several days, I contacted Google. (Yes, it was Google's actual phone #, not a 3rd party).

The Google rep asked me to start up a screen sharing app. He fired up the command prompt, and it displayed my IP address as well as those for what he indicated were hackers (115 listings!) attempting to get into my system in real time.

Long story short, he said he would direct me to a third party who could install an app that would provide SSL/firewall security. I asked about cost, he said they would charge $149.95. Do bona fide Google reps actually suggest this sort of thing? Wondering if they get a kickback from something with what seems to me to be an exorbitant price.

I told him I had been very seriously ill for many months with no paycheck, and I could not spend that kind of $$$ when I had electricity, groceries etc. to pay for. He said get back to him (them) when I was ready to pay. It sounded like he was implying that Google wouldn't help me with a simple password reset until I paid for the 3rd party solution for SSL/firewall security.

For the record, when I attempt to reset my Google password, I am told to check my phone for an SMS message with a verification code. When I enter the code in the indicated location, this new screen displays the attached image.

It is obviously NOT accepting the code it sent to my phone, and suggests trying another method.
    I obviously CANNOT have a code sent to my email, since I use Gmail, which requires the Google password I'm trying to reset. >:-(

Any suggestions, if Google can't or won't help?

Thanks in advance,
    David G.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by star-gazer777; November 16th, 2021 at 05:56 PM.

That $150 charge definitely sounds like a scam.

Possibly useful link:

https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how...rd-or-reset-it

I appreciate that link, jdc, but in the end, Google keeps wanting to EMAIL me a code for resetting the password. Wake up, Google, I CANNOT access my Gmail as it uses the password I'm trying to reset!! They have not offered a security question to answer, or any other choice besides a code sent to my Gmail. To quote the guy on the original Planet of the Apes, "It's a madhouse!!"

You normally would have set up an alternate email address on your account (like outlook.com), just in case you lose your password. that's how you'd get the reset code.

More links that might work:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/22/th...t-for-a-month/

https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/01/ho...out-of-google/

As Midknyte mentioned, you never want to use the same email account or phone number information to have password reset messages sent to as the account that you are trying to recover.

It may be time to think about setting up a password manager so you only ever have to remember one password that only you can change.

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/keepass

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    You normally would have set up an alternate email address on your account (like outlook.com), just in case you lose your password. that's how you'd get the reset code.
    So I guess there's no use creating one now, no way for Google to make use of it at this point?

You would have had to enter a backup email BEFORE you lost your password. You should have been prompted to add the backup email when you created the gmail account. Otherwise, you should have been periodically prompted to enter it.

Some good info here.

https://gmailaccountrecovery.blogspot.com/

It sounds like you're using the computer/connection you normally access your gmail on, so that's a boon in your favor.

There's link on this page (here) to jump directly to the advanced recovery options. It doesn't sound like you took the steps to setup 2 step authentication which is something you want to do when you get back in. But there's information you can provide google where if you're patient they will verify against their records. Last resort is you could pay for a google service like Google one (or do a free trial). Once you have their paid services they offer real life humans for tech support. Just a thought.

Thread Information