Office Word Art

Thread: Office Word Art

Office Word Art

What ho one and all,

When I was using XP and Office 2000, and because I was freelance, I created a kinda letterhead style using Word Art. a card from rex, an invoice from rex, etc.

Attachment 15583

This the sort of thing, outline font, tight kerning so that the letters overlapped but hidden behind.

When I had to upgrade to W7 and Office 2007, although Word Art still exists, all my *dot files show on screen and print like thus, all the 'overlap' showing through.

Attachment 15584

I have spent considerable time trying to change the style but totally unable to achieve the desired result. My only work-around it to install the hdd with XP but that is most unsatisfactory. I have even tried to recreate the letterhead for zero, but all efforts to 'bring to the front' or' 'place behind' do not work.

Grateful for any advice or hopefully, a solution.

Thanks and toodle pip
    Last edited by Rekusu; November 9th, 2021 at 03:07 PM.

Word Art has changed from version to version of Word. It would be nice if Microsoft retained consistent behavior, but they always think they need to "fix" and "enhance" things.

You can still do what you want, but it is a lot more trouble.

You have 2 options:

1. Create a graphic image using Paint or some other image creation program and create your text, then insert the image into Word wherever you want it.

2. Using Word Art, you can create each letter as a separate Word Art item, then you can reposition them so they overlap.

Let us know if you have additional questions on how to do either of these options.

Thanks for your reply.

So it was 'improved' by doing less?

I sort of tried the former by using Photoshop to clone out the overlap areas that I don't want but gave up for some reason. Think it was that becuase iam retired now, don't really need all the page designs.

Have not tried your second option but will give it a shot when I have some spare time.

The kerning appears off. I never did much with word art, but have you already tried adjusting the spacing between letters?Capture.PNG

Yes, with the XP version, i had kerning set to around 70% which gave the overlap. With the order option, it worked, but not in W7 / Word 2007. In fact, both Grouping and Order are not available and I have not found to to make them active.

The Word Art layout options appear to have changed, and Grouping and Order are no longer available. However, Overlap is available, and you should still be able to get the same effect by overlapping the text one letter at a time.

Thread Information