You need permission to perform this action (Paste)

Thread: You need permission to perform this action (Paste)

You need permission to perform this action (Paste)

I'm trying to paste msvcr80.dll to:
    windows/winsxs/amd64_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_88e41e092fab0294

It was hell getting rid of the old one: open in windows explorer, you need permission, etc. I finally did it using Unlocker.

I've successfully taken ownership of the file but I still can't Paste it. All users have full control except Special Permissions.

How is it done?

Thanks - rev
    Last edited by Reverend; November 9th, 2021 at 05:04 AM.

That file should probably not be located there, since most of those "files" are just links to the files in other locations.

Possibly useful links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side-by-side_assembly

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/winsx...er-windows-7-8

https://saginfotech.com/gst-help/Ins...ationError.pdf

>That file should probably not be located there
    Well it certainly isn't there now! Maybe I'll stop getting access violations.

Not arguing but the fact that it's there and has a size of 748k (large for a link) suggest intent. It wasn't me who put it there.

I'm going a little crazy on this one, I thought it would be easier to put a fresh copy in the location specified by Event Viewer than reinstalling Sonar but it was hell to delete and impossible to paste.

Thanks for the links, I'll check 'em out.

I'm to blame here, I backed up all the Sonar plugs, changed my OS to win 7 and copied all the plugs back in to the correct location. That seemed easier than authorizing all 130 of them all over again, but of course the memory addresses were not the same so some of them cause a c000000000005 and Sonar crashes.

Reinstalling Sonar is my next shot at solving the problem, even if it means reauthorizing all the plugs. (2 days maybe)

The software installation setup packages are what put the files where they need to go and set up registry entries, etc., and then Windows takes care of creating the Winsxs links. Windows also prevents different versions of files from overwriting each other, causing software to break. That is really what the Winsxs folder is for.

It might have looked easier, but re-installing the software and plugins is really the only way to get things working. Unless you have a really simple program with no dependencies, you cannot just copy some files to a folder and expect the software to run.

>you cannot just copy some files to a folder and expect the software to run.
    Yeah, I know that but it takes 2 to tango. I was only trying to 'fix' what looked easier to do. How silly of me!

Regardless of everything, I'd still like to know how to solve 'you can't do this (paste)'

WinSXS is the operating system files, so they really don't want you messing with it. Windows manages file versions, so you shouldn't be doing manual changes to that folder.

If you have to jump through that many hoops, that should be a red flag.

I've abandoned it, but there is now a file missing.

So we're back to this. How do I paste the file back where it was?

F8 doesn't get me Safe Mode because Win 7 is not supposed to be on Z390-E mobo. What's your guess at how to get into Safe Mode?
    Attached Images Attached Images

You don't, at least not easily. Use the sfc /scannow command to see if that restores it. If it doesn't, there may be another way, but it might require either reinstalling it (see the link below), or booting another operating system that ignores the Windows permission restrictions on that folder and allows you to restore it. Try the sfc or reinstall options first.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-fix-...errors-2623805

* OK. I did a system restore. msvcr80.dll is back
    * installed the latest Visual C++
    * Did a total clean uninstall of Sonar using Revo and including the entire Cakewalk reg keys. There should be no trace of it.

Can you think of anything before I try a reinstall?

I finally got Sonar to install but I'm still getting the IPersist error. After a scan by MBAM I found Driver Bit Updater all over the system. I don't know if that was causing any problems but it's gone now.

Thread Information