New budget build for kids school and gaming

Thread: New budget build for kids school and gaming

New budget build for kids school and gaming

I have an old Dell Dimension 3100, stopped using it years ago. If it's worth it, I'd like to reuse the tower and build an inexpensive new desktop that my kids can use for school and some gaming.
    They've been using an ACEPC AK1 which is ok for school but is "laggy" for their games and doesn't have near enough memory.
    What are your suggestions for an inexpensive build and can I or should I use the old tower?
    ASUS Prime Z690-P D4 Motherboard
    intel i5 12th gen processor
    bequiet! Pure Rock 2 CPU Cooler
    Inland Performance M.2 2280 1TB SSD
    Samsung SSD 870 EVO 4TB
    16GB DDR4 x 4
    Pioneer Blu-ray burner
    Windows 10 Pro

What price range are you looking at for parts? Probably the only part of that 3100 that you might be able to use would be the case. The power supply might not even be suitable for a modern motherboard unless you could find suitable adapter cables.

Black Friday deals will be available soon, so you might be able to get a new Dell system that would work for your intended uses cheaper than you could build one.

If you do decide to build a new system, the Intel Alder Lake CPUs should be available later this year, and those would be the ones to go for if you want an Intel system. The Alder Lake CPUs will support DDR5 memory and will work better with Windows 11. There are AMD options as well.

I forgot about Black Friday and end of the year deals. That's a good idea. I think I'll wait to see what's available.
    Thanks
    ASUS Prime Z690-P D4 Motherboard
    intel i5 12th gen processor
    bequiet! Pure Rock 2 CPU Cooler
    Inland Performance M.2 2280 1TB SSD
    Samsung SSD 870 EVO 4TB
    16GB DDR4 x 4
    Pioneer Blu-ray burner
    Windows 10 Pro

Thread Information