Is there a system repair tool out there that can be trusted?

Thread: Is there a system repair tool out there that can be trusted?

Is there a system repair tool out there that can be trusted?

I've tried a bunch of tools but never found one that:

• does what it claims
    • doesn't have a hidden cost
    • doesn't have viruses
    • doesn't get flagged by MBAM, etc

Thanks - rev

It depends on what you mean by "System Repair". If you are looking for a magic "Easy button" that will automatically fix any issues that you may have, no, there isn't one, and there is never likely to be one. This is due to a number of factors, including the fact that there are several supported versions of Windows, so the cost to develop such a tool would be high enough to require a price higher than you could sell it for.

The standard system repair tool is a reinstall of Windows followed by a reinstall of your application software and then updating your customization settings, which is not easy. The alternative is frequent image backups so you can go back to a working configuration when something messes up your system.

No, I didn't mean a magic button but a utility (or more than one) like scannow. My machine is the heart of a digital recording studio and I have a lot of work ahead. I want to be reasonably sure the status of the box is solid before I start, no errors in Event Viewer, etc, then I want to seal it off. Shut off updates and remove the internet connection, messaging, RPC or any way something else can change anything.

For example: Error - Event ID 1000

Faulting application name: SONARPDR.exe, version: 17.5.3.282, time stamp: 0x4b7b37d2
    Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000000006

I'm not starting work until I know what that is and I know it's solved.

As to what that error is I'd be asking at a dedicated software forum like http://forum.cakewalk.com/SONAR-f70.aspx

In my whole life of computing I've never seen any event viewer in any install of any version of Windows have no errors to report. Most errors I do see are non-concerning and do not impair the function of the computer. You need to look at event viewer to find a specific problem in mind rather than looking at it to find theoretical problems.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

>In my whole life of computing
    Same here, I'm not being unrealistic but you get my drift, I don't want to stop work or have Sonar crashing in the middle of a project.

I found out what that error was. An update was looking for my data folder in the default location and I have all my data on a different disk. That's all it was. Now the updates know where the folder is, it won't happen again.

Edit
    I'd like to see an Event Viewer that enthusiastically reports everything that went well!
    Last edited by Reverend; October 20th, 2021 at 02:52 PM.

Thread Information