[RESOLVED] 5 TB Toshiba external drive keeps coming and going

Thread: [RESOLVED] 5 TB Toshiba external drive keeps coming and going

Resolved [RESOLVED] 5 TB Toshiba external drive keeps coming and going

I have the drive attached and I'm working on something else when I suddenly get the 'Discovering Items' dialog. There was no two tone beep to indicate that it was disconnected, but clearly that must have happened. I've tried multiple data cables and at least two power supplies but the issue continues.

Does this mean it's got a faulty controller?

I'll bust it out of it's case and plug it into one of those external readers if that will fix the problem. What's bothering me is that it contains about 4 TB of critical backup data on it. It's perfectly silent so I don't think there's anything wrong with the platter/spindle, it just keeps dropping the ball.

Toshiba P/N: HD350XK3J1WC
    S/N: 17MDK1PRFFYD

No model number.

What do you think?

Thanks - rev

Either a power issue, or possibly a USB or controller issue. I would get the data off that drive and discontinue using it.

Have you tried it on more than one computer? Does it do the same thing on each computer?

It gets power from a wall outlet so it looks like the controller. Damn, a near new drive...

What about a Macrium image? Would that grab the data faster than copying it? If the data is 4 TB, how much space would I need for an image?

It doesn't make sense to use Macrium for regular data. It would take more time than just copying the data. You'd use Macrium if you were making a backup of your Windows partition.

It could be a flaky USB port on the enclosure. You could try removing the drive from the enclosure and putting it into a new one. That would void the warranty, though.

When you say "backup", is that the only place you have the data? A backup is a copy of the original data. If you only have the data in one place, you don't have a backup.

>It could be a flaky USB port on the enclosure
    I've got nothing to lose by busting it out of the enclosure, I don't care about the warranty.

>A backup is a copy of the original data
    By that definition, I don't have a backup

Thanks again.

Ha! It wasn't the external disk that was flaky, it was the port on the computer!

Thread Information