[RESOLVED] Very funky connection

Thread: [RESOLVED] Very funky connection

Resolved [RESOLVED] Very funky connection

A guy about 800 meters away sends signal to my roof unit. The signal comes down into the house and goes to a TP-Link AX1800.

The other day I did a bunch of speed tests, they all agreed, 30 M/bits. So why does it suddenly turn into a dog? Pages come up but don't work, the diagnostics can't find the problem or I get 'appears to be configured correctly.' It just churns until ERR_TIMEOUT. I'm using 8.8.4.4 as the DNS.

If I get gmail up and click Reply to a message, I get a popup that says 'Loading' but I may never get the reply panel. I frequently get a popup that says 'Not connected, try now' at the same time as the bottom right icon says connected with Internet access. I understand broken, and I understand working - but I don't understand this in between state.

I'm a chrome user and it's up to date but the same thing happends with MS Edge.

Anyone got any guesses?

Thanks - rev

How is he and how are you transmitting/receiving over 800 meters? That's quite a distance if you're using non-professional equipment. Is it open space between you? Are there atmospheric/weather changes when the speeds change? Is the signal from your roof to your router also wireless?

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Did a lot of people discover the free signal and decide to cash in?

>How is he and how are you transmitting/receiving over 800 meters?
    I don't know the brand names or models but if it was giving me 30 m/bits, I'd say the equipment is adequate.

>Is it open space between you?
    Yes, his sending thing is on a tall pole and I have line of sight from my rooftop.

>Are there atmospheric/weather changes when the speeds change?
    No, it's consistently cloudless where I am, unless we're having a hurricane.

>Is the signal from your roof to your router also wireless?
    No, it reaches the router via cable.

>Did a lot of people discover the free signal and decide to cash in?
    It's got WEP encryption on the password. Thievery wouldn't explain such a radical difference between max and min, I'm the shameless downloader in the community and most of my neighbors couldn't spell Internet.

Problem solved!

The sending device had swiveled in the wind and was pointing to Lithuania.

Thread Information