Printing

Thread: Printing

Printing

What ho one and all,

Not sure if this is as printing a or a W7 issue.

I have a good, solid HP Laserjet 405N printer and under XP, it worked with absolutely no problems.

But under W7, it is all different. My original driver will not install and lots of searching late, I found an HO Universal Printing PS driver which did install. All my other attempts with other drivers would not install.

But everything is different. Under XP I could print envelopes with a logo in the top left corner; with W7 the logo does not print and what does print is not centred on the envelope. Furthermore, the preview displays correctly but when printing, it require two sheets to cancel the print job, and neither are centred or have all the data.

And I have set the paper size to Envleope DL.

Any idea what is happening and how to correct it? Is there a specific HP 4050 PS driver for W7 rather than a universal version?

Thanks and toodle pip

Quote Originally Posted by Rekusu View Post
    HP Laserjet 405N
    HP 4050 PS
    Which one is it?

Which application are you using to print envelops with?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

My very poor proof reading. It is an HP 4050N printer and the XP driver I had was the PCL 6 version (Postscript)

My original driver would not install under 64 bit W7, and a lot of searching and trying various versions from different web sites, that listed W7/64, would not print or made printing somewhat challenging.

The only one I have managed to get working (after a fashion) is the HP Universal Printing PS driver that will not print my envelop with logo imbedded and for whatever reason, wants to print two pages, the second of which is blank.

If I print a saved small jpg, with the PCL6, it printed within seconds, but with the Universal, it can take up to 30 seconds before the printer motor fires up although the receiving data light flashes.

I have now saved the MS file, which is a CAB file and I'm not sure how I install that. Unzip to a folder and hit which button?

Not sure what I am looking at on the MS site. Many of the W7 drivers have the same date and version number, but the file size is different; how do I know which is the version I want other than anything that says W7?
    Last edited by Rekusu; October 3rd, 2021 at 06:12 AM.

SpyWareDr

Thanks for the link. Am going to try the HP4250 driver?

Having extracted the MS 4050 cab file, in Device Manager, there is no reference to my printer.

Under Device and printers, I have tried to install a new printer. Go to the extracted folders, which has an *.inf file and the message is that it is not compatible or something like that.

Under Device and Printers, I have tried to install a new printer via the Windows update option. It does find a file for HP 4050 PCL6 and goes through the motions of installing, but with the test page, the printer says 'Receiving Data' but an on-screen message says it failed to print due to a printer error.

Have rebooted the computer with the printer turned on and an no-screen message says that the connect device is not recognised.

Beats me!

Seem to recall I had all these issues previously and ended with the Universal driver because it did print the test page, but it does not really print my documents correctly.

What next?

Thanks

Not sure if I can delete all the above; but I retract all the previous questions!!!!!

Yeah!!!! It's working with PCL 6. Not sure what all the options mean but when I changed the default port from LPT3 to LPT1, the test page printed; then I tried my envelope and it also printed.

And as an added bonus, I have the Eco mode option back, which saved a bit of toner.

Thanks for the suggestions and support.

Now to make an image so I don't loose this victory.

My excitement was somewhat premature!!!

The printer says Processing Job (or something similar) then goes back to the Ready state. Alternatively, the tack bar notifications says Failed To Print or Error and that is also for the test page, which moments ago, printer fine.

Get a printer that was designed for Windows versions later than Windows 98? ... Preferably one that was designed to work with Windows 10+?

Thread Information