New PC. Who dis?

Thread: New PC. Who dis?

New PC. Who dis?

After eight years (!), it's time for a new PC. I've ordered one. Arriving tomorrow or Friday. I plan on closeting the old PC and using it as a backup so they won't be in use at the same time. I say "won't" but there is always a chance that they may be on together. Who knows?

As is usual with MS, I'm confused about the Windows ID & Password business. I currently use my Gmail address as my Windows ID. Can I use that same Address ID & Password in the new PC? Does MS actually USE that email address for anything? I have free email addresses for my online game avatars that I could use instead, if necessary. I've Googled this and see that one can set up a PC without any of this MS ID business at all. Are there advantages to that? So many questions lol.

What are my options here?

As usual, thanks in advance,

Terry
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU. 16GB DDR4-3200MHz RGB RAM. 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD. GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU. Windows 10. ViewSonic & Asus monitors.

Windows 10 uses either a LOCAL User Account or a Microsoft Account.

Sounds like you are using a Local account....so the name and password can be anything and used over and over.

What version of Windows will the new PC have? If it has Windows 10 Home, then Microsoft requires you to use a Microsoft User ID to set it up. A Microsoft User ID means that Microsoft can log into your PC any time they want, as long as it is up and running, which may not be something you would want. You can add a Local account and remove the Microsoft user account on Windows 10 Home once it is set up. If the new PC will have Windows 10 Pro, then you can set it up using a Local user account, IF you make sure to NOT connect it to the Internet during the setup process.

I currently use my Gmail address as my Windows ID. Can I use that same Address ID & Password in the new PC?
    You could.

Thanks, Steve. Thanks, JDC.

It's a MS Account on the old PC which is HOME. If I go to USERS it shows as such. It does offer the option to sign in with a local account instead. I followed the MANAGE MY ACCOUNT link and it shows that I can add additional devices to this MS account. This must mean that I can use the same ID & PSWD on the new PC. Or go the LOCAL way.

I may change this, the old PC, to a LOCAL account and see what changes that makes.

Thanks again for both your inputs.

Terry
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU. 16GB DDR4-3200MHz RGB RAM. 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD. GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU. Windows 10. ViewSonic & Asus monitors.

Thread Information