Android contact back-up - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Android contact back-up

I did follow the advice in the above links, and basically reset the cache, etc. Must admit that at the moment, they are not disappearing so may be the data is now in the Google cloud and the phone is syncing. But I do like the idea of turning sync off.

An issue raised in one of the previous threads, since the home screen Phone ical brings up the contact list, as does the icon, Contacts, why have both shortcuts pointing to the same data?

Sorry about the vcf additional thread; I have not imported the file but hav opened it on the pc from the phone stored file. It is opening in MS Outlook and only has one listing with no way to go to any other. The file size is around 22mb; is that big or small?

Just created another vcf on the phone, copied to the pc and imported into Outlook. One one name appearing, not the 172 that the phone screen says is being exported.
    Last edited by Rekusu; September 23rd, 2021 at 02:58 AM.

Try viewing that VCF file with Microsoft Excel or its equivalent like LibreOffice to see it's complete contents. Even using a simple word editor like MS text will show more details of it's content although it won't necessarily make a lot of sense... there will still be readable names, numbers and addresses in it.

At 22 MB there's a lot of data in there.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks for your suggestion. Can't say I understand why Google want one's own Contacts so hidden, but what do I know? May be so they can have control over us, like the Chinese government?

Anyway, I copied the Contacts.vcf to my pc and opened it with everything (Outlook, W7 WinContacts, Word and Excel). Searching through the file using Word with "Begin" as the search criteria, I did count the same number of entries as the phone tells me it is exporting, so I guess the vcf file is complete and now saved on the pc.

Hopefully, I will not need to restore but one never knows?

Thanks to all for the advice.
    Last edited by Rekusu; September 24th, 2021 at 10:13 AM.

If the phone isn't an old antique flip phone like the last one you asked about - Android uses an app called Smart Switch which allows you to backup everything.

Thanks' It was not a flip phone but was (I still have it!) an old Nokia.

Will investigate the SmartSwitch.

Thread Information