Thinkpads have 2 model numbers and serial numbers, why?

Thread: Thinkpads have 2 model numbers and serial numbers, why?

Thinkpads have 2 model numbers and serial numbers, why?

Why does these Thinkpads have two model numbers and serial numbers. The sticker gives me one number and in the bios it is different. I did the Powershell trick and that number matches the number in the bios and not the sticker on the bottom. Model number is the same issue. Why does this have to be so scientific? Which is my true serial number? In the bios or sticker?
    Reason for all this: What power supply do I need for this particular model the 65 watt or the 45 watt?
    Note: My questions may be to help others
    Thanks, JB

When you search both model numbers...(that you didn't give us).... do you get different answers to the power supply question?

Check the voltage and current output specifications on your existing power supply. As long as the outputs are the same, chances are both power supplies will work. The 65 watt version might just charge the laptop a little faster.

And the model number written on the screen bezel says T460s. Anyhow I searched it and they are mostly 65 - 90 watt on various websites. I just had a 45 watt with the same yellow square plug that I wondered if it would work. Didn't want to screw anything up. Still don't know why they would want two serial numbers on the same computer. Not like Dells that have the Service Tags.
    Thanks, JB

I bet the dual numbers are similar to the Windows key codes on store bought machines.... The sticker say one thing.... But they use a generic number to spit out ten thousand matching hard drives.

I think Steve is probably correct. The sticker on the case has the real serial number. The BIOS has a generic number used on multiple machines so that each BIOS does not have to be flashed with a separate updated software image.

I also sent a msg over to forums.thinkpad to see what they thought. But they seem to be slow to answering. Thank someone, not God for Virtualdr.com

So the output for the 45 Watt is 20V - 2.5A and the 65 watt is 20V - 3.25A
    So plenty of Volts pushing out but only letting out so many Amps. Don't know if that would damage the laptop or not.

Don't understand electricity that much.
    Last edited by jonnyb; August 30th, 2021 at 05:45 PM.
    Thanks, JB

Lenovo's specs indicate that you could get either a 45 watt or a 65 watt charger with the T460s. The 65 watt charger would supply more power and charge faster.

Thread Information