OneDrive Sync Issue

Thread: OneDrive Sync Issue

OneDrive Sync Issue

I have two computers on my home LAN (actually more, but these two are the trouble) that both have OneDrive. Somehow they have sync'd each other. If I make a change to the Desktop of either computer it is reflected on the other.

I want to be able to sync each computer to OneDrive but not each other. My "main" computer is in the house, the second is in my shop. Shop stuff on it and other stuff on the other. Now they both have everything on both desktop. I think that I can stop sync'ing the Desktop on the shop computer, but am unsure what will happen if I do that to all of the files and folders that are now on it from the "main" computer.
    This thing has more bugs than a big city flop house.

Stopping the Sync should only Stop the Sync. All files should remain where they are.

Files deleted from the one drive folder will go to the one drive recycle bin.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Steve's description of how OneDrive SHOULD work is correct. However, personally, I would not trust OneDrive any farther than I could throw it while it is installed on Microsoft's servers. Do not count on it as your ONLY backup tool. I would make sure that I have a copy of any files that I do not want to lose on an external hard drive that I own, that is disconnected from any of my computers most of the time, just in case. I have seen OneDrive do some weird things that it should not have been doing. Microsoft has had periodic "issues" with it as well. Just a note of caution.

I always value jdc2000's opinion..... I wonder what his thoughts on Gmails "DRIVE" application is like.

I have not seen the same weird issues with Google Drive that I have with OneDrive. This could be due to the fact that Google Drive is not baked into Windows the same way that OneDrive is, or, it could be that I have just not seen any weird issues that might crop up with Google Drive.

So am I experiencing one of the weird things that OneDrive can do? I can't figure out what is causing my desktops to sync with each other. I am trying to figure out the best way to stop it, without loosing anything that belongs on each computer.

I am guessing that you are using the same user account name on both computers.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    I am guessing that you are using the same user account name on both computers.
    Yes. That is probably what is causing the issue. I will change my User name on one and see what happens.

Before I made any changes to sync I went through all of my files and folders on my "main" computer and made sure that they are all saved as always available on this computer. Then I went to my second computer (Shop) and went the OneDrive accounts and stopped backup of the Desktop folder. Now my desktop on Shop computer looks better, but I have to move the folders that I want on it. Haven't looked at the main computer yet, hopefully it is not changed.

That "guess" sounds like a good one. Wish I had heard that months ago.

Cheers,
    Ron

Changing the user name may fix the OneDrive sync issue, but it may also cause another issue. If you want to access files on one computer from the other computer directly (no OneDrive involved), you will be required to supply credentials to log in. You may also have to set up Sharing for this to work.

Thread Information