Can I do this?

Thread: Can I do this?

Can I do this?

I have a Win 10 machine. Can I put Win 7 on it (as a dual boot) and then get rid of 10?

Thanks - rev

Post the make and model of the computer or motherboard.

The answer is that you probably can, but the question is why would you want to. Considering the troubles you have had with your other Windows 7 computers, unless you are having the same issues with Windows 10 or need some software that won't run on Windows 10, you might want to just leave it as it is now.

>why would you want to
    The machine is in a recording studio, I have a sound error EVERY SINGLE DAY. Win 10 updates got in and screwed up everything to do with sound and recording. I've tried everything to get back to where I was but nothing has worked. After supporting me on Win 10 for over a year, MOTU now says the Traveler interface is not supported. Even if it wasn't critical as a recording machine, I've still experienced an error of some kind on average every day. I keep losing the phone driver, the Safely Eject icon disappears as soon as I have a bunch of disks attached, My Phone application only worked briefly. The list is endless and now that I can't get any sound I've had enough. I was happy on Win 7 but MS made it nearly impossible to install it on this machine by not providing any USB drivers.

So I bought USB drivers for Win 7 from a guy in China and followed a tutorial - it worked for the guy who wrote the tutorial but it didn't work for me. I gave up and went with Win 10 but I've hated it from day 1.

Asus Z390E ROG STRIX gaming, 32 RAM, Intel Quad Core 3.3 chip

Sounds like your no USB drivers issue will still be a problem then. You might be able to solve that with an add-in USB card that does have Windows 7 drivers.

>You might be able to solve that with an add-in USB card that does have Windows 7 drivers.
    Can you briefly explain why installing Win 7 is such a problem and how an add-in card helps. I don't think I ever understood it properly and that was a year ago.

Why, for example, can't I install from DVD and add USB drivers once I have an OS?

You could, if there are Windows 7 USB drivers available that actually work.

Thread Information