A blank screen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A blank screen

A blank screen

What ho one and all,

Since upgrading my GPU from a Raedon X1330/1500 to a Quadro P2000, very now and again, the screen goes totally black (no backlit) for a few seconds, then recovers with the following message.

Attachment 15539

Why is it happening and is there anything I can do to prevent it?

Toodle pip and thanks

Rex

When you installed the nVidia drivers, what source did you use? That version does not appear to be the latest. Did you download the latest version from nVidia's web site? If not, you may want to try that.

Links with other ideas that may or may not work:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...-responding-a/

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...1-e9ff45c9c1d4

I downloaded whatever version from the nVidia web site that is for the Quadro P2000 / W7. Everything time I have tried to install it, I receive a message that the software is not compatible with the OS.

I therefore reseated the card and on the reboot, W7 found the new hardware and searched for the appropriate driver and install it automatically.

Guess I could look at updating the software but have not done so as I have assumed it is the latest or the best for the OS.

One aspesct that i do find confusing (i.e. dont' understand!) is that I now have a Quadro P2000 but the nVidia web site seems to relate to GeForce; what is the difference? Additionally, everything is related to games, which I do not 'do.' Just after something that will allow 3d modelling.
    Last edited by Rekusu; August 10th, 2021 at 02:42 AM.

GeForce is a different series of video cards. They're for gaming.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
    Product Type: NVIDIA RTX/Quadro
    Product Series: Quadro series
    Product: Quadro P2000

Thanks for the GeForce explanation and the link. I have previously been to the link, fill out the correct info, inc, W7 64 bit, downloaded the driver and this is installation message every time with a manual install.

Attachment 15540

However, an automatic 'detected new hardware' driver install and I have version 21.21.13. 7684.

Gentlemen,

Sorry to hark on about this issue but I am now confused (a normal situation.)

As the above post shows, apparently, driver version 441 is not compatible with my hardware, even though it was obtained from the NVidia web stie with everything correctly entered.

So I thought, try an older version ofthe Quadro P2000 driver; not easy to find. I currently have v376 installed and found a newer version from another web site which also, willnot install. Also found another 441 as an *.exe file which when I install, give me this message:

Attachment 15548

Click the link which take me to the normal NVidia driver sownload page with no reference to 'Windows Driver Type' or '
    Standard' option.

Attachment 15549

So I don't know how to upgrade the driver. From Device Manager, Upgrade tells me that the best version is installed, but not according to the NVidia web site. And I still have the black screen an 2 seconds later, a GPU restore

Grateful for any suggestions..

Did you remove all the other Nvidia video drivers first?

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us
    There are a lot of driver sets available, but you should uninstall the old one first.

Brilliant; thank you so much. I have been searching Google high and low but unable to find this page.
    Out of interest, what search terms did you use to find it? I could not see it on the NVidia site.

I did Google 'page recovery following gpu failure' and found a reg hack (TrpDriver with value of 8) which I have created. Before trying a different driver, will see if that makes a difference.

nvidia Advanced Driver Search

Thanks for the link. Cannot install a newer driver than the currently installed one v376.84. Every version gives me a message that the hardware is not compatible. Have no idea what hardware that applies to.

However, further searching and I see this is a quite common issue (both NVidia and ATI), namely a TDR (Timeout Detection and Recovery.) There is a reg hack which I have tried but because the issue happens infrequently, it is difficult to say if this is a fix. Also adjusted a setting in the driver software and the Power Option for the PCI card.

Time will tell!

A lot of Google searching later and I have found that this TDR error appears to be quite common. But I never had it occur with the lesser specs Raedon X1300/1500.

I have done a TDRDelay reg hack to two different keys and still it happens. The only possible solution is to install a newer Quadro driver than the current one (v376.84) But that brings a whole host of different challenges, namely an 'incompatible hardware' message. Again, this appears to be a relatively common problem with no easy solution.

The NVidia web site is a waste of time since it neither lists the Quadro gpu any longer and certainly nothing pertaining to W7.

However, I did find one page (and have noe lost it) which suggested that the card Hardware ID found via Device Manager is probably not listed in the driver install *.ini files and with a bit of jiggery pokery, the *.ini files can have the relevant lines added, then hopefully, the newer driver can be installed.

But I am unable to find the NVidia driver *ini files. I can find folders in Program files and Program Files (x86) but there are no ini files listed.

Where else should I be looking?

Did you fully uninstall the old drivers first? Try DDU
    https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

There are quite a few different driver sets:
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Are you sure it's .ini files? Usually drivers are .inf files.

My mistake, probably *. inf files but I have lost the web link so cannot confirm.

Have been to the NVidia site numerous times and can only assumes that I have the correct W7 / 64 bit driver file.

Yes, I did use DDU in Safe to uninstall and previous. But installing the P2000 driver in Safe still gives the incompatible message. Additionally, it takes some attempts for the computer to actually find and install a driver; it stay in the system default for some time before finding something.

I also have the MS kb update for SHA-2 files so that should not be the issue with the newest driver.
    Last edited by Rekusu; August 23rd, 2021 at 02:36 AM.

Are you using 32 or 64 bit Windows?

The only other thing I can think of is to disable driver signing, but that's not the error message you're getting.
    https://www.itsupportguides.com/know...er-sign-check/

Thanks and 64 bit.

Further research (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD_Sc4IyrvU) seems to reveal that from the Device Manager Hardware ID, I can paste the info into the relevant *.inf file and the incompatibility message should not appear.

However from this link and others, I do am not clear on what I should be doing with the second line of the Hardware ID. Directly paste it into the inf file or as seems to be happening in this video, amending some of the lines.

Reason I could not find the inf files is that upon install, an NVidia folder is created on C but following incompatibility message, it is deleted. Another link showed how to copy and paste the folder before it was deleted and that has succeeded.

This link (https://null-src.com/posts/nvidia-no...f-mod/post.php) provides other info but I still don't understand what I should do.

Attachment 15553
    Last edited by Rekusu; August 23rd, 2021 at 10:45 AM.

Thread Information