Uninstall AMD GPU

Thread: Uninstall AMD GPU

Uninstall AMD GPU

What ho one and all,

Running W7 with 8 gb RAM on an old Dell 9200 with currently a Raedon X1300/1550 GPU. Just received a NVidia Quadro 2000 that will be easy to exchange.

But although it was recommended not to bother uninstalling the current AMD drivers, many threads imply that is what I should do.

Presumably this can be done from Device Manager/Display/Uninstall drivers? I have AMD / CIM / Log folder in Program files. But nothing relating to AMD / Catalyst / CCC anywhere other than Winsxs.

So is removing the drivers from Device Manager all i need to do?

Thanks and toodle pip

When you remove the old GPU and replace it with the new one the older one's drivers will automatically be uninstalled/replaced by drivers for the new one.. whether they're different generic ones already stored on the drive in Windows or ones you just now got on a CD or downloaded for the new GPU.

Note that there's a big difference between uninstalling a driver and deleting the driver's files from your hard drive. There's no reason to delete any old driver files. They will be sitting on the drive in an inert state in case you need them in the future... say if the new GPU fails.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

The uninstall process might be slightly different depending on whether you are using Microsoft-supplied drivers or the AMD supplied drivers and support software. It does not look like you have any actual AMD software installed, so Device Manager removal should be sufficient.

https://superuser.com/questions/4466...cs-card-update

Thanks for the rplies; thing may be easier than my internet search and question implied.

As the current GPU (Raedon X1330 / 1550) is somewhat 'old,' the driver do not come with W7. So I installed the lagacy drivers from the AMD web site. That probably explains why there is no CCC, (which I have in XP) etc.

But may be I am reading too much into this. When I remove / install the new GPU, what happens to my screen resolution? Do I have to reset everything?

When you remove the existing drivers, your drivers SHOULD revert to the standard Microsoft VGA drivers. You screen resolution will probably change also, so you may want to make a screen capture of where your icons are positioned in case you have to re-arrange them after you get the new drivers installed.

Removed the ATI drivers from Device Manager, installed the new GPU (Quadro P2000), lots of windows file detecting, although new hardware was not one of them, and installed the driver from N Vidia for P2000/W7.

In Safe Mode and regular mode, I am continually receiving the same message that the software is not compatible with the hardware.

The hardware is not seen in Device Manager (just the default) so I don't know if it is working or not. However, the fan is spinning. I have re-seated it, but still, the driver will not install.

Thought it would be easy; how stupid am I? What next?

Thanks and toodle pip

A lot of restarting, trying Safe Mode / Run as Admin, uninstalling, re-seating and finally, it is showing in Device Manager.

I don't really understand what I have done so it was a kinda scatter gun approach.

Up-date.

Seems the card is working although I have not yet installed a modelling program. Checking and running OpenGL, and the RAM numbers look OK.

However .............!

On my desktop, I have Desktop iCalendar running, with the month and five days of Stuff Happen Soon on the top right. The calendar should be above Stuff Happen Soon.

As soon as the Quadro P2000 driver was install, the resolution automatically set itself to 1680 x 1050 (as it previously was) and everything was fine except that the monthly calendar is now on the top left and I cannot find how to move it back.

Attachment 15538

Within Edit Skin there is an X and Y axis location option for each component, and they are currently set for the correct location on the right. But there are insufficient numerical options to re-locate the calendar back.

This only happened following the Quadro driver re-boot; the weekly list was fine.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks and toodle pip
    Last edited by Rekusu; August 6th, 2021 at 10:27 AM.

Can you reinstall the program? Since it's a program you paid for you will want to
    make sure you still have licensing info, if needed, available for a reinstall.

Can you drag the calendar to another location?

Thanks for the replies. I have tried dragging and I though it was possible, but it will not move.

Re-installing seems to be the answer but is a drag because every component (Month, Day, Date, Year, etc) has is own X/Y location, font, size, colour. I don't like the default options and location!

Raining today so that will keep me occupied.

Perhaps an over-the-top reinstall would retain settings and
    repair it at the same time? If not then an uninstall then reinstall
    might work.

There may also be some sort of .ini or similar file in it's own
    program folder that could be used to reset the location parameters.

Have you tried contacting them to ask?

master@desksware.com

Thanks. I have not contacted Deskware but not a bad idea.

However, I am considering a radical approach; I have been trying various programs, etc with the new GPU and don't like the fact that unistalling usually leaves unwanted stuff behind. So considering replacing the X1330/1500 card, restore from an Acronis image, then replace the card with the Quadro and get the drivers working again. If the Desktop calander does the same, then reinstall it.

On a big plus note, thanks you to all for your advice. I installed Autodesk Fusion 360 modelling freeware program, which was 'Not Responding' with the X1330/1500 GPU. The Quadro, appears to have no problems although I have only created a flat plate with a hole in the middle. But can twist and turn it any way I want.

Thread Information