SCanner not connecting; software issue?

Thread: SCanner not connecting; software issue?

SCanner not connecting; software issue?

What ho one and all,

Not sure if this is the correct section but....

I have a film scanner (Minolta Dimage Scan Multi Pro) and the original software that runs well under 32 bit XP. Neither the hardware nor software are available any longer, although the scanner does make premium prices as it is in demand.

It is well documented that it will not run under 64 bit W7 or higher, but there is a well documented work-around that I can confirm does work.

Install an alternative software (VueScan), go to Device Manager, hit Update Driver, install the VueScan driver and then my scanner runs with the original Minolta software. Apparently this also works for W8 and 10.

I don't like VueScan so I have uninstalled it but now the Minolta software gives me a connection error message.

Attachment 15516

Yesterday. I reinstalled VueScan, did the things and the Minolta software fired up fine. Left VueScan on, but this morning, the same error message appears.

Reinstall the Vuescan driver and all is good again.

Surely, if I have updated the driver in Device Manager, it should be fixed onto the relevant driver files section and the scanner would fire up correctly? What can I do to ensure the driver will connect?

Thanks and toodle pip

Make sure the scanner isn't asleep when you try to connect to it.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Definitely not asleep. I removed the VueScan software and reinstalled and all good again, after going through the up-grade driver from VueScan dance. Now the Minolta software runs.

But again, yesterday, after re-booting, zilch; did the VueScan dance again, and the Minolta software works. Powered off overnight and this morning, all is fine with scanner software running.

Beats me!

What interface are you using to connect the scanner? Check the power settings to make sure that power management is not turning it off.

My m.o is to have the computer on, then turn on the scanner. It takes some time to initialize and there is a occasional known power issue that usually resolves itself after a couple of re-starts. Once the light has become solid, I activate the on-screen icon for the Minolta software and usually, it fires up and occasionally, give the 'Error Connection' message.

The reason I though it may be an issue in this case was because the software (Minolta) driver came from a different software as a work-around. I did wonder if having installed the driver, it only worked if the other (VueScan) software is also installed. I wonder if, uninstalling VueScan, the driver is also removed? Obviously it is from the VueScan install, but would it be removed from the 'Minolta, Upgrade driver file?

Thread Information