windows XP

Thread: windows XP

windows XP

do you guys have a win xp version, i want to have a little nostalgia about this legendary operating system

I moved your thread to the Windows XP Forum.

Many of the older series digital mixers I've used have Windows XP as their operating system. While they still mostly do work well enough I've found that many of them are riddled with viruses that can't be eliminated or controlled without wiping the system and starting fresh which would also delete settings and saved data from previous shows.. something that's very central to the use of digital mixing consoles and most users and owners don't want to do that except as a very last resort. New a/v programs aren't equipped to run on XP so the old programs that are sometimes installed are pretty much useless.

I have tried to save the settings from one show to bring to others when I toured but many times the USB key I use to transfer the data becomes infected and would spread the viruses to the next console I use or potentially to any computer I plugged it into to view or edit the data/settings. Here's the warning I got from my a/v a year ago when I tried to view some data/settings from my USB key on my laptop.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

fink,

LNK:CVE-2010-2568 is just an infected link (.lnk) file that exploits the CVE-2010-2568 vulnerability in the Windows Shell (XP). The .lnk files are not actually needed for anything.

The Win32:Kryptik-IWK malware is ransomware. The CKfPrUOE.exe is a randomly created file name for the malware.

What software were you using that had these files as part of them, or generated files containing them?

As long as the OP is not using your mixer software and uses a Virtual Machine and does not download random junk from the Internet and just uses XP for local work, on a PC that does not have access to any data useful to hackers, they are not likely to encounter your issue or any others.

I would have used the software that comes with the digital mixing console to view/edit the settings of the show I'd just finished mixing. But that's the message I got immediately after inserting my USB key into my laptop from Avast a/v. I've always been wary of these potential problems so I do all of these operations in my Acronis TrueImage sandbox so I can safely return to a clean operating system if necessary.

I just posted this info as a reminder that old operating systems are more vulnerable to malware because new a/v programs aren't able to run on them.

If that hardware and software combination was from a reputable company, it would not likely have contained any malware infected software, especially that particular one. Also, the infection might be due to an infected USB flash drive. If might be interesting to see if you could detect or remove it from your XP instance, assuming that it is infected and not just the USB drive.

Possibly useful links:

https://howtofix.guide/win32-kryptik-hcgu/

https://www.usbfix.net/qeivvhpi-exe/

The USB drive was brand new and freshly formatted and the XP system was part of the mixing console in the club I'd just finished mixing a band in so I had no access to it any longer. I'd wanted to save my mixing data to use in my next show but I just ended up starting from scratch after I re-wiped that USB drive. My laptop os is Win10

The company that manufactured the console and software is one of the largest on the planet.. AVID

https://www.avid.com/products?catego...-9FCDB06C62F4}

The malware would have been there from some previous user inserting an infected key to transfer data to that older mixer.

USB flash drives have been known to ship from the factory with malware pre-installed, although that is rare. If the mixing system was used by lots of users, it was likely infected by one of the inserting an infected flash drive. AVID would not have had that malware as part of their software installation. I think this mystery is solved.

Thread Information