Log on and admin

Thread: Log on and admin

Log on and admin

What one and all,

Again, some more W8.1 questions!!! Appreciate the advice as I frequently cannot find an answer on Dr. Google.

1. HP all in one, have removed most of the bloatware and want the computer to boot to the desktop. At some stage, I entered a Greeting Message as a welcome when my wife fires it up.

But.... the greeting appears and have to hit OK. Don't want to hit anything, just a few seconds of the message and move on automatically.

2. the next screen is a log-on. Have to enter a Username and enter. Have managed to by-pass the password but again, don't want this. Just want to go straight to the desktop.

Have been into Netplwiz and checked the box, but it still appears.

Also done the Desktop/right click taskbar properties / navigation and checked start to desktop but not effective.

How can I boot to the desktop immediately?

Admin.

I don't want W8.1 automatically installing updates. Have been to the System/Update but whatever option I select, I am told that I need admin privileges and cannot change anything. If I go to User, there are three accounts; Admin (with admin rights) / Momiji/Admin (with admin right) / Homegroup (with admin rights and I don't even know what it is)

As User shows all accounts with admin rights, why does changing the updates prevent me doing so and tell me that I need admin rights? How do I get around this?

Thanks very much.
    Last edited by Rekusu; July 12th, 2021 at 06:55 AM.

Much appreciate the advice and suggests and sorry to be a PIA, but.........

These are the accounts, and as you can see, they both say Administrator.

Attachment 15526

But when I attempt to change the upgrade settings, this is the message I receive and I don't understand why or what I can do.

Attachment 15527

I have used the CMD to make account active, Netplwiz is unchecked to boot to desktop without password, etc.

If I go to this screen, it is locked on the top account and neither mouse nor arrow keys move the highlight.

Attachment 15528

So I am no further forward in booting to the desktop with no user input although I now only have to press enter at the prompts rather than enter any username or password. But I don't even want that. What next?

For the Windows Update issue, try the info in the link below. Activate and log in to the hidden Administrator account to make changes.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-b6ac0d0ded2f

For the login issue, did you try the instructions at the link I posted, and Enable Automatic Login? If yes, what happened?

Yep. Done everything suggested, but no luck. For both accounts, "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". is unchecked.

Permission from netplwiz only give me the third screen shot, from which, I can do nothing. Properties is not active, cannot move the highlight donw with either mouse or arrow keys. Can open Advanced but that does not help. Only active buttons are Cancel and OK.

Thank for the links. Will have a look after SWMBO has told me that the garden tasks have successfully been completed!

Thread Information