Optomising HDD

Thread: Optomising HDD

Optomising HDD

What ho one and all,

This W8.1 computer is an HP All In One job and comes with too many bells and whistles software, many of which I have removed.

I have never been happy with the factory default resetting options, and have always made an image of the OS to a separate partition, and I have now done so for this computer. The image is not showing on the photo but it is in H:

I know the partitions preceding C are small but I would like to get rid of them. Is it possible to reformat, and merge with C:? So no Win RE Tools or System.

Attachment 15525

If it goes AWOL, I now have an image which since the option did not exist, presumably has also imaged these partitions. Do I need these small partitions? What do the do?

Thanks and toodle pip

Widnows RE Tools is the recovery partition. I wouldn't delete that unless you've already created the HP Recovery media flash drive. I would still make the factory recovery flash drive, even if you plan to do a clean install of Windows.

The SYSTEM or SYSTEM RESERVED partition should be part of your backup image. Windows won't boot if you delete it.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/192772/wha...you-delete-it/

Thanks. i ahve been Googling because my W7 install on an old Dell, does not have UEFI; I see now that I musth have it.

As for the Win recovery partition, I really don't understand this. As it presumably can only recover to the factory setting, that measn all the programs installs would be lost? Why would I choose to use it if I have an image of the entire OS?

Do you NEED to free up the space on the drive for other things?

But I think you answered your own question.

Thanks. i ahve been Googling because my W7 install on an old Dell, does not have UEFI; I see now that I musth have it.
    I don't understand what you are getting at. Win7 also requires a SYSTEM RESERVED and BOOT partitions.

As for the Win recovery partition, I really don't understand this. As it presumably can only recover to the factory setting, that measn all the programs installs would be lost? Why would I choose to use it if I have an image of the entire OS?
    If your image doesn't contain both the SYSTEM and BOOT partitions, it won't boot up. Did you actually test booting from the H: drive with the C: drive disconnected?

I don't see much value in getting rid of the WinRE partition. It's only 1GB.

Thanks; I will keep it for the time as my wife will never see it and she will certainly not be short of space.

Thread Information