Does anyone have a list of maintenance tasks - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone have a list of maintenance tasks

I thought you don't have an M.2 drive?

If you system is working, I guess it's ok to leave it as is. I just mentioned that it is strange that your boot drive is not on Disk0/SATA1.

I have one M2 and it's the boot drive. Booting is working well so far, the drives are all visible without needing a restart, so I think I'll leave well alone for the time being.

I'm flabbergasted and crestfallen at the transfer rate when copying. Fast File Copy was a lot better than Windows, reaching 80 meg/s but then falling to 0 for quite a long time. I baled and decided to try SyncToy, I've always managed a first time backup in a timely manner, say 4 or 5 hours for 200 gig. So I'm using it just to copy the files. Based on the progress so far (pic) it's going to take a week! That 5% that's done has taken about 20 hours. That's not normal operation for SyncToy.

When I copied the data off the drive that needed replacing, I had no trouble. I used Windows copy and it all finished in one sitting, I just worked on other things meanwhile. That makes me think Windows copy can work but something is wrong somewhere but I don't know enough about Win 10 to hazard a guess.

Would I be better off taking the disks to a Win 7 machine?
    Would I be better off copying an image of the old drive and pasting it to the new drive?

As it stands I'm down for a week while the data is being copied and a lot can happen in a week. One power cut and I'll have to start again. I could bale on SyncToy and try Teracopy because at least it's resumable but I'm already down 20 hours. Woe is me - then there's climate change...
    Attached Images Attached Images

200 GB should not take that long to copy. I would be looking for potential hardware issues at this point. 8.2 hours should the maximum at USB 2.0 speeds.

I agree and I'm trying to look into it. But where? What could be responsible for Windows copy transferring data in kilobytes? The programs that claim to be faster must be trying to bypass something that Windows normally does, virus checking, permissions, I don't know. Z390E is a respectable mobo and I have 32 RAM. I've tried the changing settings per internet tutorials but they haven't worked for me. The machine is only about a year old. Where would I look?

If you wanted to run a test to eliminate Windows as the source of the issue, you could try booting from a Live Linux disc and then copying a test set of files to a test location to see what king of speed you get. If you get the same slow speed, that would tend to indicate a hardware issue. If the copy operation is as fast as it should be then you have a software issue.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...dows-computer/

Since your computer is not dead, you should probably not get the errors listed in the article.

Note: For your location, I would have your computer equipment on a UPS system to prevent issues in case of a power loss.

Thread Information