Does anyone have a list of maintenance tasks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have a list of maintenance tasks

Does anyone have a list of maintenance tasks

We used to run defrag and regclean and all kinds of stupid utilities but now I have a SSD and regcleans don't do anything - or they take out keys you need.

So I'm left wondering, what do you do with Win 10 and a SSD to get it all tuned up?

Thanks - rev

Win10 has TRIM enabled by default. Do NOT defrag an SSD!
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

I don't run any registry cleaners.

TRIM Support Results Description
    NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled) TRIM support enabled for SSDs with NTFS

So, a query result that says Disabled means that TRIM support is Enabled? That's like Press Enter to Exit!

One of my reasons for asking is that my machine takes a really long time to boot, in the realm of minutes sometimes, when an SSD is supposed to be quicker to boot than a conventional drive. And 1 year later I've still got problems getting all the disks recognized each time I boot. I usually have to boot, make sure J:\ has been seen and if not, Restart.

The machine sees the missing J:\ drive after a Restart but I'm starting to wonder if my BIOS is in the correct mode. I've attached a pic of the disks but I need to know what the critical BIOS settings should be for the disks listed. Being in the wrong Legacy/EUFI mode (or whatever) could explain all my troubles. I was confused by all that when I built the machine and nothing's changed.

Can you tell me what the BIOS settings should be for the disks shown?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah, it's a double negative. Disable*** is Disabled, thus it means Enabled.

Did you run diagnostics on your drives? If the J drive has problems, that could cause boot problems for the whole system.

I can't tell you the bios settings, since you didn't say what motherboard you have or what kind disks they are.

It's strange that Disk 0 isn't your boot drive.

>It's strange that Disk 0 isn't your boot drive.
    Yeah, and I suspect that's not all that's strange.

>If the J drive has problems, that could cause boot problems for the whole system.
    We've been through that in another thread. Win 10 will claim a problem when there isn't a problem, I've proved that by getting a disk recognized when Win 10 claimed it was hosed or needed formatting. I can also take the suspect disk to a Win 7 machine where nothing is found to be wrong. So how do you determine whether a Win 10 claim is true? I agree though, that is a possible cause.

As for the mobo, all I can remember is that it's an Asus Rog Strix gaming mobo, how can I find out the rest?

I'll start diagnostics but I've got a strong intuition that it's a BIOS setting because I've had trouble with almost every disk I own. I had messages about the semaphore timeout period being exceeded when the semaphore thing is more of a networking message, never got to the bottom of that.

So how do you determine whether a Win 10 claim is true?
    Like I said, you run diagnostics on the drive. Seatools for Seagate, WD Data Lifeguard for WD, etc.

You can try looking in the BIOS/UEFI for the motherboard info, or you can open the case and look. If you had the motherboard manual, that would work too.

Did you update your BIOS/UEFI? That should be available on the Asus website.

>If you had the motherboard manual
    The manual!? It must be bad if you have to resort to the manual

This from Speccy:

Motherboard
    Manufacturer ASUS
    Model ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING (LGA1151)
    Version Rev 1.xx
    Chipset Vendor Intel
    Chipset Model Coffee Lake
    Chipset Revision 0D
    Southbridge Vendor Intel
    Southbridge Model Z390
    Southbridge Revision 10
    System Temperature 33 °C

CPU
    Intel Core i9 9900K
    Code Name Coffee Lake
    Package Socket 1151 LGA
    Technology 14nm
    Specification Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz

You'd still need at least a pdf of the manual to look up BIOS/UEFI settings.

I'm not sure what kind of drives you have. If you're not using M.2 drives, then I'm guessing you didn't put your boot drive on SATA1.

You'd still want to run diags on the drives, especially the J drive. Even if the problem isn't on the boot drive, it could affect the boot process.

Manual:

https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards...elpdesk_manual

I have not looked, but the SATA ports may start with SATA0. You would normally use the lowest numbered SATA port for your boot drive.

The manual goes from SATA6G_1 to 6.

>If you're not using M.2 drives
    The boot drive is the only SSD.

I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting. Do I reassign the disks in the BIOS according to something I'll find in the manual or do you think the misplaced boot drive is the only one I should change?

You'd need to plug the SSD into port SATA1 so that it shows up as Disk0. You can't do it in the BIOS.

Again, you should run the manufacturer's diags on the J drive if that's the one that is flaky.

I'm proceeding with your plan.

* Ran diags using Seatools and Dashboard - found bad blocks
    * Switched out the drive, copied the data to the new drive
    * Changed all MBR disks to CBT

Just doing that has made sure I get all drives when I boot, I don't have to restart to get J:\ drive to appear.

>You'd need to plug the SSD into port SATA1 so that it shows up as Disk0.
    A question: How am I going to put the M2 where the J:\ drive is when they have different connectors? The M2 pushes into a connector and has a dust cover, J:\ has a SATA connector and a power connector. See pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

>If you're not using M.2 drives
    The boot drive is the only SSD.
    I thought you meant that you have a SATA SSD, not an M.2 SSD. If you're not using a M.2 SSD drive, then just ignore it.

I didn't say to put the J: drive into the M.2 slot. I said connect the boot drive (SATA) to the SATA1 port on the motherboard.

So don't do anything and it doesn't matter if my M2 boot drive isn't disk 0?

Thread Information