Thread: Log in?

What ho one and all,

Some time ago, a neighbour, in upgrading, very kindly gave us his all-in-one HP with W8.1 on board.

I have been setting it up for my wife to use, Japanese language, Firefox, partition, back-up, defrag software, etc. Restarting, rebooting as required, all was good, until ...................

Today, I fired it up to paste her Firefox bookmarks and got this screen for the first time.

Attachment 15521

I did not set up a user name / password as there are only two users, so have no idea what has happened, but more importantly, how to get out of it.

F8 during booting did nothing; I was going to install Acronis True Image and make a disk as the next step, but obviously, that cannot happen until I can start the computer. One option is to log-in to the MS account, but we don't have one.

What next?

Grateful for any advice,

Thanks and toodle pip

There has to be a user set up or you cannot log in. If you had it set up to automatically log in to whatever user name you used (with a blank password for that user), what happens if you enter that user name and press Enter?

To be honest, I don't recall what the user name would have been as I check the boxes so as not to use one. But the computer on various boots and rebooting during program installation, has booted without needing me to enter anything.

Now at this screen, the usual user names are not working.

I did manage to get into the BIOS via pressing Esc but there is nothing that changes the User Name.

Having just written the above, I tried our house name and that has opened the door!

Which brings the next question, how do I boot without needing to enter a User Name?

Things are never easy!!

Have managed to boot the computer and then netplwiz to turn off log-in password, but ......

On the next reboot, MS decided to install a load of c**p; Please wait while we, Almost there, etc and funky screen colours fading in and out. Finally, the desktop appeared, totally different from what I had and all the icons rearranged. WTF!!!!

I have no idea what was installed and how I get rid of it.

Now it boots to a UserName/Admin Welcome message that I have to click OK . I just want it to boot to the UserName account which should be an Admin a/c, without clicking anything.

How can I do that?

Thanks.

Best guess is that the machine has more than one Windows User Profile.... You started off with somehow switching to the other one you never used before.

Now that you got into it, it did the normal loading "stuff" routine.

There are two accounts, Admin and Momiji/Admin. Don't know what the different is and loath to delete the Momiji one, but as I do the maintenance, I do want admin privileges.

But when I was trying to remove something, the message appeared that I needed admin rights, which I though I had.

If you can log in to a user account that has admin rights, you can go into Control Panel, User Accounts, and see and change the settings for each user account. Remove the passwords on the other user accounts, and make the Admin accounts if they are not already, then WRITE DOWN the user names. Log in to those accounts to see if one of them is the one you were using previously.

I'd guess that Momiji is the actual user account. You might have activated the hidden administrator account when you were trying to clean up the computer.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...windows-vista/

You can use this to autologin:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...oads/autologon

Thread Information