WF-2860 printer shows "off line" and will not print from computer

Thread: WF-2860 printer shows "off line" and will not print from computer

WF-2860 printer shows "off line" and will not print from computer

Using Windows 7 Professional a friend got a new WF-2860 Epson printer in December and it worked well until a month ago and the black ink jet malfunctioned & Epson sent a replacement printer, same model. The printer, router and desktop computer are within 6' of each other. In replacing the printer we disconnected the old one and set the replacement. Connected to the router WIFI by depressing WPS button and the printer shows that it is connected and the signal strong. The printer will copy and scan and print nozzle checks and display ink levels from its little screen. In setting up there were automatic updates on the software and firmware updates, too. But the printer will not print from the computer. All documents go to the spooler and it shows "Printer offline" on that screen where "What is printing" is displayed. We did a network problem check for the printer and it says the printer is turned off. It is not. In checking ink levels from the computer the cartridge numbers show -- we exchanged the initial cartridges with Epson 202XL and that displays -- but the colors are all greyed out on the display. Doing this from the printer screen the display is as it should be. I looked carefully at the "Documents in the queue" screen by clicking on Printer, then looking to see if the "Use printer offline" was selected and it is not. I thought this was to be unchecked. What do we do to get the computer to read the printer is on? Many thanks for suggestions.

Did you uninstall the old printer and install the new one? Even if they are the same model, they are different printers.

If you have both the old and replacement printers set up to use the wireless network to connect, they have different network IDs. You will need to go through the initial connection setup process to get the new printer working. The printer that you are seeing the "not connected" error message for is the old printer, and, since it is no longer connected, that is correct. If you remove that printer from Devices and Printers and then use the Epson instructions to set up the new printer, that might get the new printer working correctly.

I did not uninstall the old printer. I assumed, evidently incorrectly, that they would be the same. OUCH. So I think I understand I should remove the WF2860 from the printers and have the computer "find" the new printer and reinstall. Thanks.

They might be the same if you were connecting the printer to a serial or parallel interface, or, even if you connected it using the SAME USB port as the old printer was using. For a wireless network connection, that is not the case. For a wired network connection, you could (and should) set it to use a fixed IP address, and then you could set the new printer to use that IP address and it would work.

My, my! When you do it the right way it works so well! Thanks a million for the info I needed. Turned the printer off, removed the printer from "Printers", installed from the disc indicating the printer was already on the network. The setup detected the printer and all runs as it should. I appreciate your help.

Thread Information