PSU works but won't start up in PC Build

Thread: PSU works but won't start up in PC Build

PSU works but won't start up in PC Build

I bought this PSU Hiearcool back in Jan 2020 on Amazon, and found out it wouldn't turn on durning a build and secondly didn't fit into the case. So I put it off to the side and went to Mirco Center here in Dallas, Texas. 5 months later decide to do another build and remember having this PSU still laying around and hook it all up to another build and got the same results that it would not start up. I contacted the manufacture, and they sent me some instruction tips with was to do the "paper clip" turn on test. I follow their instruction and it works! But the also told me that what could be causing the problem is that "Regarding the problem of not being able to boot, it may be that the motherboard is protected." OK never heard this before. I did some internet searching about "Motherboard PSU protected" So sites state that so PSU will and will not work on certain brand motherboards and vs versa. I never heard that and why that is. Can anyone show me how to find out which works with which. I know you cant stick a AMD into a Intel mb, or that even memory will not work with all CPU? But at least they provided which brands and models work with the CPU or MB.
    Last edited by Tinkertron; July 2nd, 2021 at 12:57 AM.
    Will update soon

What motherboard are you using? Assuming the one from your signature, the second 8-pin power connector on the motherboard is near the USB ports. Of course, the connector for the power switch needs to be placed on the correct pins on the motherboard. You will need to check the manual for that.

Just because the power supply turns on does not mean that it is actually working properly and can power your system. Do you get any brief spinning of fans, or does nothing at all happen?

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    What motherboard are you using? Assuming the one from your signature, the second 8-pin power connector on the motherboard is near the USB ports. Of course, the connector for the power switch needs to be placed on the correct pins on the motherboard. You will need to check the manual for that.

Just because the power supply turns on does not mean that it is actually working properly and can power your system. Do you get any brief spinning of fans, or does nothing at all happen?
    Actually I need to update my Signature section, but cant find on here where to do that, I went to my profile section of my account and I see a section for the Signature box, but there's no edit button for it. Go figured?

The board I try to hook it up to is a Gigabyte AORUS X570 I Pro Wifi

I do here a click sound coming from the PSU once I hit the switch, but no spin or anything. Just the click.
    Will update soon

Found how to edit my signature. Thanks
    Will update soon

The 8-pin connector on that board is near the left edge of the rear panel connector plate.

I would try another PSU as a test.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    The 8-pin connector on that board is near the left edge of the rear panel connector plate.

I would try another PSU as a test.
    I have uses another PSU and it works fine, will try again, since I have already replace this PSU in another build. I will try another build soon and will report back soon.
    Will update soon

Thread Information