Sharp TV Mod LC-32LB591U Hardwire Internet connection needed

Thread: Sharp TV Mod LC-32LB591U Hardwire Internet connection needed

Hybrid View

Sharp TV Mod LC-32LB591U Hardwire Internet connection needed

Sharp TV
    Model LC-32LB591U

This TV continues to lose Internet connection. It is a Roku based TV.

My room mate who owns this TV says that he constantly loses the Internet (we believe this is the case) because the picture freezes and you see the swirl trying to re=establish a connection. Of course the time between each loss is different but it does get annoying. This happens on all Roku channels.

I have even hooked up a WiFi extender and that does not seem to help. When you check the connection to the internet/SSID in "settings" it shows all is well and the signal strength is "excellent". We only have two walls (basic sheet rock) between the router and the TV (his room). Eagle flight is about 20 feet.

To solve this issue I suggested a hardwire connection to the router. Believe it or not this Smart TV does not have an ethernet port - really?!

So I figured the next best option (I believe - if I am wrong please let me know) is a female HDVI to female ethernet adapter. There are 3 HDMI ports and one USB on this TV. I would think the HDMI connection would be better than a USB to ethernet. I did a search on Amazon but don't quite know which adapter he should purchase.

Example: Tripp Lite HDMI Over Cat5 / Cat6 Extender, Receiver for Video and Audio 1920x1200 1080p at 60Hz(B126-1P0),Black Link--> https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Ex...s%2C208&sr=8-3

I don't know if this is the correct one as most adapters listed have "extender" in the title. I don't know what that means or if I should get one that does not show "extender".

Can someone please give me a bit of info on this and maybe give me a link on Amazon or another site (if Amazon does not have the proper one) to the proper one to purchase. I am lost on this.

I just can't believe there is no ethernet port on this TV.

Also I assume that the adapter and cable can be either Cat5 or Cat6 - Just wondering.

Thank for your help.

Have you tested download speed on the TV? The connection may be excellent but if it's too slow for HD programming then you'll get those freezes and lags. Roku suggests that 3Mbps is adequate for HD but from my experience with similar IPTV hardware I wouldn't want less than 20Mbps especially if the connection is shared with anyone else using the internet at the same time.

Also try finding a station that broadcasts in a lower format/resolution like 480i (thus needing less bandwidth) and see if the freezing still happens.

ROKU speed test:

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/roku...-test-feature/

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks for the reply.

This is a Roku TV and not a regular smart tv with a Roku device in case that matters.

My internet download speed is 25 Mbs at the modem. What the TV itself can download I have no idea and there is not speed test in the "Settings" area that I can find or have seen previously.

I have two other TVs in the house. One is a smart TV and the other not. Both I use Roku devices and no problems at all on any channels. The other two TVs are running on Wifi and not hardwired. The one Smart TV is further and between two walls than my housemates. It never loses the signal.

This issue happens even if none of the other Roku devices are being used.

I had the same problem basically with my laptop. Internet would be slow. I hardwired the laptop and don't see any lapse now at all.

What is the make/model of the router? Are you using 2.4GHz or 5GHz for the Sharp TV? 2.4GHz would generally be better for long range or obstacles.

25Mbps sounds kinda slow. What ISP and internet plan do you have?

You can run a web browser in ROKU to access a speed test site.

https://graphicreporter.com/use-roku-web-browser/
    https://mediapeanut.com/roku-web-browser/

A simple test site that doesn't take a lot of resources and loads quickly:

https://fast.com/

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thread Information