System Restore

Thread: System Restore

System Restore

What ho one and all,

I never had a problem with System Restore under XP. It did what it says on the box.

But under W7, it seems to be a challenge. Using the default W7 menus, creating and restoring is not easy, particularly as the restore option seems to be hidden somewhere. So I installed System Restore Manager but.....

Before installing a new software, I usually create a RP for obvious reasons. But when restoring, everything appears to be working until rebooting and I receive this message.

Attachment 15518

Don't know if it is a fault with SRM or not. So I try again using the W7 restore point, and the same message. Based upon this message, the system in not restoring, so I assume any left-overs are still hanging around. But what do I know.

Is there a simple W7 program to create and restore?

Thanks and toodle pip.

I don't use that SRM program, so I can't tell if it's causing the issue. The error says to disable antivirus. What AV are you running?

Did you run System Restore from Windows, or did you boot to System Recovery?

Instead of using a third party app, try following this:
    https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...m-restore.html

Thanks for your reply. Run from Windows.

I only installed the SR program because I want simple access to create and restore; had that with XP but W7 hides the shortcuts. Not actually running any specific av program, just the basic W7 and Zone Alarm.

But in researching this, am I correct in assuming that W7 creates a restore point automatically, when a new software install is activated?

(Now I have opened your link, I have answered my question.)

Installed a program and made an RP with SysRestoreManage first. Didn;t like the program, uninstalled with Revo and did a System Restore with the manager, Came up with the same message that the computer had not been restored.

So did it again from Safe Mode, and perfect. So will ditch System Restore Manager and make a shortcut to rstrui.exe for future use.

However, after the next reboot, I got a black desktop (all icons are present and everything working) and the message Win 7 Build 7601 not a genuine copy.

I had this some time ago, and don't recall what I did to get rid of it. To the best of my knowledge, it is a genuine copy and if it is not, why would the activation number during install, allow the os to work.

I have tried slmgr -rearm from cmd but nothing.

What did I do previously?

Thanks and toodle pip

Can't say the issue has been resolved but as i don't have the KB that is mentioned, and rearm commands did not work, I re-entered the license key and all appears normal (for the time being!)

Scanned with Anti-Spyware and four items found; perhaps one of those was the culprit?

You can click in your profile to see the threads you started.
    https://discussions.virtualdr.com/se...archid=6842226

It sounds like you did a restore and undid whatever fix you used for the license problem.

Thread Information