[RESOLVED] Upgrading a CPU
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Upgrading a CPU

Hybrid View

Resolved [RESOLVED] Upgrading a CPU

I have a Gigabyte computer with a GA-X79-UD3 mother board.
    It has an Intel Core I7 CPU 920@2.67 GHz 2.66
    16GB memory 4 sticks 4GB 128 bit DDR3

Is it worthwhile to update to a faster CPU?

That might depend on what you are using the computer for. What software are you running where you are seeing slow results or responses? A i7 should be reasonably fast.

Below is a link to the supported CPU list for that motherboard. Provided that you have a BIOS version that supports it, or have updated your BIOS to the proper version, you can get a significantly faster CPU for that board.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...rt#support-cpu

Chatting with SanDisk gave me this: https://www.reddit.com/r/acronis/com...mage_software/
    They also asked for my computer maker and model. It is a GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3

They told me to do an image. I have no idea.

If I go and open True Image 2021 it tells me to click on tools-clone disk. I get a screen that says "You have a trial mode" and then I am lost.

is it this one "https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/d...ampaign=7mr0yi"
    or this one "https://dl.acronis.com/u/pdf/ATI2021...uide_en-US.pdf"

and what is "TI" please?

WOW! Thanks for the link for CPUs. What I use the computer for is music. Running a DAW called Cakewalk by Bandlab. There are other programs on the computer also. It takes 3 to 5 minutes to load everything. I went to MSCONFIG and shut off everything. Still takes a long time to load all. 3to 5 minutes. I was given a computer, Dell Inspiration 660, with an I5-3340 CPU @3.10 GH. This has 8 GB of RAM. I put Cakewalk and some of the same programs on this computer and loading only takes a minute or so. Probably comparing apples to oranges here. Since the Gigabyte has an I7 and 16 GB of memory I thought It is a faster CPU and twice the memory upgrading to a 3.2 or more CPU it should be faster. Maybe I'm wrong.

I haven't done anything with BIOS and am not sure how or what to check.

Thanks again!

When you boot the computer, if you do not have the BIOS boot screens disabled, it should show the BIOS version. You can also go into the BIOS setup to find out which version you have.

What make and model hard drive are you booting from? An SSD for the OS and programs would speed things up.

Thanks for the links!

I found out that the backup part works or should I say is working. I left the computer on for a couple of hours and got some movement in the progress bar. It is sloooow! So far 45G in 30 hours.

This is the screen I get nowAttachment 15503

I hope there is an attachment

You might be wondering why don't I just don't use the other computer. Getting the DAW to work to any degree took off and on a month for me with help from the forum. So I installed Cakewalk on the Dell computer but I didn't want to spend the time trying to get back to work for what I had on the Gigabyte computer. It is almost as complicated, for me anyway, when I was first learning about computers.

I used a program called CPU-Z The BIOS is Award Software International Version FK date 02/29/2012. I couldn't tell if it was 1.0 or 1.1.
    The hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda 320GB ST3200M000 SATA plugs.
    Motherboard says X58

Transferring the OS to an SSD would definitely speed things up.

I did check the Seagate for errors. None were found. As of 9:45 a.m. PDT it says 5 hours and 7 minutes to go and has done 116 G. I will let you know when it finishes.

thanks for putting up with me

Sounds like the way to go. Can I save files I want to a DVD and then install them on the new SSD?

Cloning the existing hard drive would be what I would try first. That saves reinstalling all of the software and setup.

Thread Information