[RESOLVED] Bing browser invasion

Thread: [RESOLVED] Bing browser invasion

Resolved [RESOLVED] Bing browser invasion

I got a popup from HP when I started my computer, and thought that I clicked the "skip" or "not now" option at each stage before it finally disappeared, but nonetheless it installed a redirect on my Firefox link such that when I click on Firefox the Bing browser comes up instead.

In searching the Internet, I get a million hits on how to remove the Bing search from Firefox and various other browsers, but the only one I saw for removing the browser was Combo Cleaner. I tried that but it required that I uninstall my anti-virus software before installing it, which I am loathe to do based on instructions fro unknown sources.

If I doubleclick on an html file in File Manager, Firefox does come up, but both the desktop and taskbar icons are redirected. I thought of deleting the icons and recreating them, but suspect the redirect would still be active, and figured someone here would have already come up with a fix.

Update: When Firefox is running, clicking on the "Home" button, closes Firefox and opens the Bing browser. This thing is really annoying.
    Last edited by Bill Heffner; May 24th, 2021 at 09:38 AM.

There isn't a BING browser. There's a Bing Toolbar?

Do you mean Internet Explorer or The EDGE?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Well, I feel pretty stupid. It just changed my home page, and of course I know how to change that.
    In fact, I already have changed it back.
    My update should have given me a clue. Not awake yet, I guess. I'm going to hold onto that story.
    Thanks for response. I'm going back to bed.

Thread Information