What the***is happening?

Thread: What the***is happening?

What the***is happening?

Oh no! Not him again? Afraid it is!

If you have been following my posts, I have upgraded from XP to W7. Created W7 on a 250 gb spare hdd, when happy, made an image and used that image to replace the os on my main disk 0 hdd which has partitions for MyDocs and some other stuff. All is more or less good.

On advice from other posts, I decided to see what W10 is like, so have installed that onto the 250 gb that I was installed W7.

So one way or another, I have been swapping disk 0 a number of times. My computer has three hdd and they are all working and been visible by whichever disk 0 (XP / W7 / w10) is in place; until this morning!

W7 on the new 2 tb disk 0, which has been working and reading the other two hdd for the past month; this morning, it seems to have gone AWOL during boot with a message "Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file XXXX."

By the time I pulled the plug, it was up to around 5000 files. I tried booting in Safe Mode and came to a 'Please Wait' message and after five mins, I was still waiting. Again pulled the plug.

Disconnected disk 1 and 2 and W7 boots fine. Have Google the problem but cannot find a solution to a problem that I don't know what it is. When I recently checked disks 1 and 2 with Crystal Disk, they were both showing as fine, nothing wrong, so I don't think the issue is mechanical. The problem is disk 1 as the computer is currently running with both 0 and 2 running.

I have tried plugging disk 1 in when the os is running and hoping the p&p will see it, but no such luck.

I have not yet tried booting with all disks available using wither XP of W10 as I am concerned about loosing data (not that it is an important, just very inconvenient.)

Grateful for any suggestions. Thanks and toodle pip

What is happening is that you have files on non-boot disks that were originally set up as being owned by a user account on the Windows 7 system. When Windows 10 sees them, it might decide that it should update the permissions and/or owner of those files so that you can access them from the Windows 10 system. It may or may not ask you if you want to do this, and, if it does ask, the wording of the question may not give any hints as to the what will happen when you switch the boot drive back to the Windows 7 drive. Then, when you swap the Windows 7 drive back, it no longer has access to any files on that non-boot disk and tries to repair that issue.

The solution to this is, when you are testing out Windows 10, DO NOT have any drives that are being used by the Windows 7 system to store files connected. Even though you may have user accounts with the same user name and password, they do not have the same internal Microsoft assigned user ID number, so Windows considers them different accounts. Windows uses the internal user ID number to assign file ownership and permissions.

I currently have a test system with multiple OSes installed. Each OS has its own boot drive, and all files needed are stored on that drive. This makes it easy to start any OS and not worry about file conflicts. If you want to store data files on a second drive, use a different second drive for each OS, with copies of all of your data files on each data drive. This prevents the issue you are having and has the added benefit of giving you an additional backup of your data files. Use an external drive that you connect after the system has booted up to sync changes to the data files between OSes.

Possibly useful links:

https://www.sevenforums.com/system-s...up-chkdsk.html

https://www.techspot.com/community/t...roblem.172732/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/pre...ectedfrom=MSDN

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...ength.3556777/

AND NEVER have two bootable drives plugged in at the same time.... There can only be ONE "C" drive.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Thanks for the links. I did find a couple of them myself. Don't have two bootable drives plugged in. only the one (Disk 0) that I have been swapping.

For most of the day, since posting, I have had the 'problem' drive unplugged. Just now, before awakening from hibernate, I plugged it in and for whatever reason, still using W7, it is all there, no problems.

While building the original W7 and now W10 on the older 250 gb drive, and although the other two have been active, I have not been using them. Although that is probably not strictly true, as when I download and programs, they are saved to one of the drives, from where I install. But I have not been going from the os to any drive.

Are you advising when building/ installing/playing around with W10, I should unplug the other two hdd?

Are you advising when building/ installing/playing around with W10, I should unplug the other two hdd?
    I would if it were my system and drives. If they are SATA drives, you just need to unplug the power cables from the drives. On my test system, I have installed a SATA switch that does this.

As said above, all was working when I reconnected the 'problem' hdd before re-awakening from hibernate. But this morning, booting with W7, and everything is being replaced, continuing from where it left off.

So have unplugged it not. What I don't fully understand is that the third hdd, which is a photo file back-up, is working fine. Why would W10 only hit one drive?

Will investigate the links you supplied and maybe do the thing with the host file.

On a different topic but related to admin rights, when I installed W7 and was asked for a computer name, etc, it is called REXPC (I thin! it may be MyPC)

But if I click the security for any file, the security tab shows Creator Owner; System; Admin (MYPC / Admin); User (MYPC / User)

Go to Owner and there are Admin (MyPC / Admin) and Rex (MyPC / Rex)

How many andmin accounts are there and why are there so many differently name entries?

When the hdd is replacing all these security id's, where is that actually happening? On the hdd it is checking or is the data being changed within the os itself? (C

Reason I ask is that when I have encountered some kind of os related issue, I generally restore from an image and the problem is solved. Restoring from a W7 image, made before I installed W10 onto a spare hdd, would this resolve all the security id issues or not?

If so, then I will give it a try and the next time I play with W10, disconnect disks 1 and 2.

If and when I learn to like W10 and get it the way I want, make an image and then restore that to my main hdd (disk0)
    what happens to all the files on the other two hdd? Will they all have to have their security id replaced?

How or why did it eve become so complex? Never encountered this kinda issue with DOS!

How or why did it eve become so complex? Never encountered this kinda issue with DOS!
    DOS did not have any security whatsoever, and was never meant to be connected to the Internet.

When the hdd is replacing all these security id's, where is that actually happening? On the hdd it is checking or is the data being changed within the os itself?
    The data being changed is in the file system on the hard drive(s). You would need to restore images of all affected drives.

Have you considered just installing and running one instance of Windows (10) and using virtual software to mount and run other versions? Would be so much less of a headache than what you're doing now.

eg:

https://www.vmware.com/products/work...n-pro/faq.html

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Another option would be to use a hard drive that is large enough to hold multiple partitions, so you could have an OS partition and 1 or more data partitions. That would eliminate the need for multiple drives if you are planning on using different OSes.

Gentlemen, Thanks for the replies and suggestions. At one time, I did have a VM on XP the 'test' software, but never really go on with firing up another os, etc. Guess is was slow because with XP, only had 3 gb of RAM.

Not concerned about swapping hdd as I am learning my was around W7 and that is more or less, the 'new' main os. Swapping disk 0 to install and play with W10 is just in case I decide to upgrade again.

However, to return to the original question, I have restored W7 from the most recent image and booted with disk 1 (the one that seems to have been creating all the security id messages) unplugged. Everything is hunky dory and I even have solved the Genuine Windows activation message as that is not reappearing, even with FileFormatConverter installed.

Booted with disk 1 connected and again, all the security id messages. Pulled the power plug and rebooted with disk 1 disconnected. Hibernated the computer, reconnected disk 1 and started again. This time the 'Do you want to scan the connect hardware of continue without scanning' message appeared.

Chose to scan and that ran for about one minute much to my surprise as I though it would be longer) and the result is that everything appears to be back to normal again. All files on disk 1 readable and no security id messages when booting.

So the next time I play with the W10 hdd, I will disconnect both data hdd.

Thread Information