Mircosoft Word Too Small

Thread: Mircosoft Word Too Small

Mircosoft Word Too Small

I got a new TV to use as my PC monitor and it's been causing a variety of problems.

One issue is that in Work the control panel is microscopic! The visible size of the text in the document can easily be changed but the size of the menu is almost too small to read.

I tried several things such as changing the PC's display size but this does not effect the problem in Word.

Please help!

I'm using Windows 10 Pro by the way.

I looked at some more articles and I found that with 4K TVs one does have to play around with the display settings to find a resolution and size such as 225% for certain programs to work best. They also recommended closing the programing, changing the display settings and then reopening the program. But this still does not help Word!!!

If I choose a VERY low resolution the Word ribbon will become large enough to read but it's still very small.

There has to be an easier way than changing my whole display setting each time I need to type something in Word!

Maybe I'm describing the problem wrong. When the window opens up for Work everything is super small. For example, on the 55 inch monitor the top left corner "File" is only 6mm high! Likewise all Word pop up windows like the one asking if you want to save before closing is super small. The only thing in Word which I'm able to read is the text of the document itself because in Word I can change the view size to 300%.

This may also be important but the "W" icon at the bottom of the screen is only 2mm in diameter compared to the normal size of other icons.

The first and third and fourth links are somewhat inaccurate as they recommend something I've already tried. In Setting under Ease of Access under Display the font size can be changed. This was the first thing I tried yesterday and it effects all other programs but NOT Word. The links say this is under "Display" but it's actually under "Ease of Access" then "Display."

The other option which I also tried is holding down the Windows icon and the + sign. This brings up a magnification Window and it does effect Word but it zooms in on all other windows as well making them useless.

Another option suggested was to use Word to select "Large icons" this did work but it only increased the size to the 6mm I was referring to.

The other tests I did today was using my work laptop on the same monitor. Word showed up just fine. I also tried another monitor with the same PC. It works fine.

Please help! How can I get Word to work normally like everything else?

It sounds more like an issue with high dpi scaling. What version of Word are you using?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...in-windows-10/

A screen capture showing Word with issue and another application (like Wordpad) that looks normal might also help us diagnose the issue.

It's an OLD version of Word. How can I determine which version it is?

I opened Word Pad to compare. It's pretty small but not nearly as bad as Word. "File" is 9mm high compare to "File" being 6mm high on Word

I researched more and found others are having similar problems with Word and 4K TVs. The recommended altering the DPI setting. I tried the different recommended setting but they either had no effect or made things worse.

In general, you'd open Word and click Help > About Microsoft Word

If it's an OLD version, then it wouldn't recognize high DPI screens. The link I posted earlier had possible fixes. Look at the "Windows desktop applications" section. You can try adjusting the DPI settings in the Word shortcut properties.
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...in-windows-10/

Thanks for the advice. When I opened Word to see what version I had this problem seems to have magically fixed itself! I'm only guessing but one of the DPI settings I tried must have taken effect after a few restarts.

Now onto the new major problem this new minor has caused. Should I make a new post for this problem?

I do a lot of photo work and when organizing files in folders I usually have them sized "extra large." All the other sizes work fine in File Explorer but when I switch to extra large it's as if each photo has a giant invisible border around it so the icons are spaced out further but the icon photo only appears as it does in "large" large size.

The research I did thus far recommended holding down Control and then using the scroll wheel to make the icons larger. This does no good as of course it expanded the border as well.

Next I found that someone with the identical problem (except with their desktop items) that by going to Control Panel and typing in "regedit" (registry editor) and then going in Desktop and then Windows Metrics you can manually change size and space between desktop icons. It requires a restart to take effect.

When I tried this it did indeed alter the desktop icons. But ONLY the desktop icons! (which were fine to begin with) My problem is in the file folders and viewing icons in there. I searched for a similar function in registry editor for file explorer but couldn't find it.

Is there something similar to effect file explorer icons? Or is there a better way? Please help.

Sorry for my late response. Unfortunately this article only provides the basics which I've already tried.

I've found more and more stories about people having these same thumbnail problems with 4K monitors.

https://www.technipages.com/windows-...thumbnail-size This article came the closest to addressing the problem. It's the one I referred to before. Yes it does allow the Desktop icons to be resized but it does not effect File Explorer. Is there something similar to manually adjust the thumbnail size in File explorer?

Thanks.

So, the Control key and mouse scroll wheel did not alter the size of the Windows Explorer icons?

Thread Information