Ethernet Network Invisible to Windows 10 PC & Access Problems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethernet Network Invisible to Windows 10 PC & Access Problems

Ethernet Network Invisible to Windows 10 PC & Access Problems

I have a Ethernet Network (network 3) on which a win7 and win10 PC function.

When I try to add another win10 PC, it does not see this network and the wizard creates another one (network 4).

Let's call the PC's: 7, 10x, and 10z (7=win7, 10=win10)

Network 3
    *) 7 - sees ALL 3, CANNOT access 10x & 10z but
    *) 10x - sees ALL 3, CAN access 7, CANNOT access 10z

Network 4
    *) 10z - sees ONE 10x as Media Player, CANNOT access 10x

SOLUTION APPROACH:

STAGE 1: Get all PCs on same network, THEN
    STAGE 2: Rundown access problems

NOTE: RE: Access problem: have tried all the stuff that should work.
    Then tried to setup credentials for all users on all PC's but couldn't with no network access, filling out forms
    failed because users on PC's not accessed are not found - Chicken and Egg Problem

NOTE: Someone could make a fortune if they could write a software that would setup a network given PC names. LOL

The number of the network connection doesn't control access; they need to be in the same workgroup. You can change the network connection name if you want:
    https://windowsloop.com/change-network-name-windows-10/

Are you sure all computers are using the same workgroup name?
    https://www.howtogeek.com/school/win...aring/lesson2/

I know the link is for Win7, but the procedures are basically the same. You can turn off password protected sharing instead of trying to set matching users/passwords on each computer.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...dows-7-and-xp/

Yes to:
    *) Same Workgroup
    *) Password Protection OFF (Network is Private.)

Sharing of c-drives set to EVERYONE with full RW access.

I see 2 approaches to access problem:
    1) Try to fix why I'm not granted access, or
    2) Specifically setup access for individual users. Of course this is out of my comfort zone and Authenticated Users and Windows vs Network Credentials is a guessing game for me.

I read similar problems with the following solutions:
    1) For some reason, if you type in the full path name, 10-20 seconds later access is granted. Merely clicking in File Manager brings up the Network Error message: Windows cannot access..., You do not have permission...
    2) Run optionalfeaturs.exe and set SMB 1.0/CIFS Client ONLY
    3) Set up credentials for all combinations of access: if 3 PC's, then each must have specific access for the other 2 users.
    4) BIG ONE HERE: If automatic Win10 Upgrade from Win7 w/HOMEGROUPS - you get problems like this. BOTH 10x and 10y were 10 upgrades.

I think trying to rundown why it is misbehaving will be difficult if all I have to do is setup some user credentials.

NOTE: I also have an XP machine that will be networked eventually.

Is the guest account enabled in Win10? If not, try enabling it and see if that helps.

Open an elevated command prompt
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

Run: net users guest

If it says Account active = "No", then run: net users guest /active:yes

Just to confirm, did you enable Network discovery and File and printer sharing?

Open Control Panel
    Click "Network and Sharing Center"
    Click "Change advanced sharing settings"
    For home networks, "Private" should be the current profile
    Choose the following:
    Turn on Network discovery
    Turn on File and printer sharing

Click on "All Networks"
    Turn OFF Password protected sharing

Click Save changes

Guest is active on both 10x and 10z

Yes, did all the basic steps.

I'm trying to remember before I did the free win10 upgrade. I seem to recall in setting up the network, special passwords/codes were generated on the primary PC to be entered on the PC being added to the network. (A Homegroup thing?) Those passwords could still be in the registry and "active" even though Homegroup was eliminated in one of the Win10 updates.

I'd like to try simply satisfying the "Network Error: Windows cannot access..., You do not have permission..., Contact your network administrator to request access" but I don't know how to go about it.

I seem to recall in setting up the network, special passwords/codes were generated
    That sounds like homegroups. That should not affect normal network shares.

Try going through this link:
    http://woshub.com/network-computers-...ng-windows-10/

Make sure "Make this PC discoverable" is enabled. Also check your firewall settings. Enabling SMB1 might work, but there is a security risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    That sounds like homegroups. That should not affect normal network shares.

Try going through this link:
    http://woshub.com/network-computers-...ng-windows-10/

Make sure "Make this PC discoverable" is enabled. Also check your firewall settings. Enabling SMB1 might work, but there is a security risk.
    Holy Cow Batman, that link made my head explode(!) LOL

However in the comments I found:

free third party IP and network shares scanner software utilities to help me find the computers that the lame Windows Network fails to show, even when all network and sharing related settings are set exactly as they should be

can anyone recommend any?

Create the identical users on all PCs with the same passwords (The problem with changing passwords on all PCs).

I wonder if I should try this since easy.

But it's not clear what they mean by "identical users" and "same passwords".
    It could mean:
    Create UserX/PWx on all PC's and then use UserX all the time on all PC's, OR
    On each PC, create User/Pw's identical to those on the other PC's EXAMPLE:
    Starting with what I have now:
    PC7 has User7/pw7
    PC10x has User10x/pw10x
    PC10z has User10z/pw10z

These are the users I would add to PC7:
    User10x/pw10x
    User10z/pw10z

Maybe focus on why PC10x can R/W on PC7 while PC10z cannot see PC7 and also keeps showing PC10x as a Media Device.

UPDATE:

PC10x can access Public folders in PC10z/Users but CANNOT access c or c-disk (sharing enabled on them)

NOTE: I need all PC's to be totally R/W - I am the only one that uses them. (But I have unique User Names on each one.)
    Last edited by MrCreosote; May 5th, 2021 at 11:42 AM.

Normally, you would add each user to the permissions of the folder(s) you want to share. Sharing the entire C drive is not usually done, as it is not the Microsoft (or the secure) way. However, it may still be possible to do that.

Possibly useful links:

https://superuser.com/questions/1170...-local-network

https://www.technipages.com/cannot-a...res-windows-10

UPDATE:

I can access ALL combinations by merely typing the computer name in the address bar: "\\PC10x\c"

In particular I can access pc7 and pc10x from px10z which SHOWS NO OTHER PCs on network (except for 10x as a Media Device).

And to make things even simpler, as soon as I type \\, a drop down menu appears with all previous \\ entries which includes all my network PC's - so I can then simply click on the PC I want.

This tells me there is "broken stuff" all over the place and will require hours and hours of learning, frustration, and the desire for wild geese, and no guarantee of success too.

Still, it baffles me how win10x can see win10z, but win10z cannot see win10x...

And you're sure that Network Discovery is enabled for all PCs? and Network Discovery is allowed in the firewall? Those are in the link I provided earlier.

Enabling Guest and turning off password protected sharing should have allowed access without adding each user, but you could try adding the users to each PC. "identical users" and "same passwords" means that all PCs need to have users with the same username and password. That's how they would authenticate.

I've checked Network Discovery On and Firewall allowed. But to be sure, Are these settings for the Blind PC, or the PC's it can't see?

I know I did Discover ON on day 1 - that is basic procedure. I'll check all the firewalls at once, so there is no question.

Network Discovery should be on for all computers. That allows the computer to see and be seen by other computers. Double check it anyway. Don't assume that it's on.

Discovery is On and Allowed on all PCs.

Now the "blind" PC10z sees everything as Media Devices: itself, PC10x, and my Smart TV. And yet if I manually input \\PC..., I have no problem and File Manager works.

Thread Information