DOT file, what is happening?

Thread: DOT file, what is happening?

DOT file, what is happening?

What ho one and all,

With Office 2000 running under XP, I created some letterhead DOT files using the WordArt facilities.

This is a typical example of the letterhead style:

Attachment 15485

But with Office 2003 running under W7, and having imported all my DOT files, this is what I have.

Attachment 15486

I know they are not quite the same but the essential is, that I want the outlines masking each other, as in the first attachment. Originally created and grouped, but under W7, it is not possible to un-group and send foward or backward.

Why would it be different? Is there a way to import the files with no changes to the letterhead? Or will I have to re-create them all again?

Thanks and toodle pip
    Last edited by Rekusu; April 28th, 2021 at 12:04 PM.

Microsoft changed the way things work from Office 2000 to Office 2003, so you will probably have to recreate that WordArt. If you at some point change from Office 2003 to Office 2016, you may again face the same issue, or if you change from .dot to .dotx files, you can also get the same problem.

Thank you. Ain't compatibility great!

Seems to me, the computer industry have us over a barrel and we are the suckers.

Sure as hell beat me!!!

Some time ago, when I tried to install my Office 2000 into W7, I got error message and it would not. So I managed to install Office 2003, which does work, although I don't like the tiny icons nor the alternative very large, fuzzy ones. And as posted above, my letterhead no longer display the way I made them.

Then I was hit with the Genuine Windows message that probably came with FileFormatConverter to allow Office to read and create *.docx files.

Searching for another docs reader, I came across a page where the writer had tried to install every version of office since 97 into W10 and found that virtually everything worked.

So I have tired again with my Office 2000 and hey presto, it is up and running and my letteheads are displaying correctly. Next is to install the Compatibility Pack rather the Format Converter and see if I can read / create docx.

Things could be looking up somewhat.

Thread Information