Legal copy or not?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legal copy or not?

Legal copy or not?

Since searching for a solution to another problem (https://discussions.virtualdr.com/sh...efault-program), I am now being plagued by this message which is most strange as have a legit version of W7 and it was installed around 4 months ago without any warning messages.

Attachment 15480

Close it an it goes away so don't know what is going on here? Interestingly, Computer/Properties/Activate Now says that W7 is activated. May be my W7 is not as legit as I was lead to believe.

What is going on, unless MS does not like the fact that I am not upgrading to W10?

Update: Thought this may have come via one of the monitor calibration software that I have been trying or alternatively, FreeFileConverter (to convert docx so that Office 2003 will open)

I restored from an image taken around 2 weeks ago, when this was not present and I had not installed DisplayCAL or the file converter. Reinstalled the DisCAL and FFC and annoyingly, the same message appears. Run Malwarebytes and although it found a couple of things, did not find this.

So I assume it is genuine, but when I go to the Activation page, I am told that W7 is already activated. Not sure now what to do?

Could restore from the image and only reinstall one of the two new programs to see if that is the culprit. Have followed the message links and have to admit they do appear to be genuine MS links.

It is annoying but goes away when cancelled and does not appear to affect the computer operation whatsoever. What I don't understand, if my copy is no legit, and since I entered the number during W7 install, surely an illegal copy would not install?

"There are many reasons why this message can come and one of them is that the Windows system files have been modified by any app which might have made it non genuine."

Several things to try on this site:

https://www.nirmaltv.com/2011/11/24/remove-windows-is-not-genuine-this-computer-is-not-running-genuine-windows-message/
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Thanks. I will wait and see if it returns since even though the relevant properties box tells me my copy is activated, I did follow the W7 link on the properties page to activate it (again!)

Did what it was supposed to do, and displayed the message that W7 was now active. now to see if that on-screen message reappears.

Five minutes after posting the above, it has jumped back! What a bugger.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...9-eb1e5fe9cc47

If you have Microsoft Windows Update KB3004394 installed,
    then install KB3024777 to fix an issue with KB3004394:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3024777

Again, many thanks. I cannot see (find?) KB3004394. Went through the list twice.

Whatever it is, it is causing some strange things to happen but does not appear to be affecting the compute operation. Everything works (I think) certainly no messages restricting me in any way.

The first interesting thing is a 'new' screen during booting. Following a usual Drive 5 & 6 not being present (because I don't have anything connected and this always appears) the usual black screen with a short line in the top left of a series of coloured dashed. Must remember to have the phone camera on to get a shot! Seems like a new boot 'thing,' but booting is normal. Not had this in the past X months since initial W7 install.

And this morning, when I powered up, the screen that showed start options, selected Start Win Normally and within a few seconds, had the memory dump screen. Powered down, restarted and all is fine, except the appearance of this bl**dy message.

Don't know what to do? Seem to be getting all the symptoms; message popping up which I can close and one web site said that the computer would close down after X minutes, and that seems to be happening.

From what I can see, W7 is active and because I assume the number was accepted. I have been to the MS web site and re-entered it and that was accepted. I tried the phone option, but that just runs through a list of open whatever on the computer, so it seems that is only offering what I have already done.

Cannot see or find how to either disable this message or correct it. Strange thing is, if the activation number is not legit, surely I would know when I entered that number during the W7 install? But it all went as intended and has been fine for the past four months.

KB3004394 link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=45633

Midknyte posted the link for KB3024777

Sorry, not sure I understand although I have little to lose.

The link I found, suggested a problem with KB3004394 and if present, install KB3024777.

I cannot see that I have KB3004394 so presumably, no need for KB3024777. Or are you suggesting that I try both? As I say, nothing to loose.

And if you want to legally upgrade to Win10, the door is still open. Since 7 isn't supported anymore, that might nip your problems in the bud.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-d...ows-7-is-dead/

Thanks for the link. May take advantage by upgrading the W7 working copy and then make an image and plya around.

This b***dy message is still annoying. It did not appear for the first few months of W7 use and a recent image restore, from before it appeared has not cured it. So don't know if it was a newly installed software or hard coded into W7, which seems unlikely.

We have a W7machine that we use to watch catch-up, live TV and mp4 movies. It was bought as a factory refurb and came with W7. Certainly I have not installed so much software, but this message has not appeared in X years.

Just a heads-up. In all my efforts to resolve the Win Genuine message, things were only getting worse with OE6 suddenly requiring log-in details every time I hit Send/Receive.

So took the sledgehammer approach and restored from an image I made around one month ago. Will have to update some software and other bits and bobs, but no more W7 Genuine message and OE6 doing what it should.

Will make more images before installing software, as I suspect FileFormatConverter may have been the culprit. But what do I know?

I suspect that FileFormatConverter was indeed the cause.

When I was running XP and Office 2000, I had a converter that allowed docx files to be read.

Office 2003 does not have such a converter and a similar needs to be installed; hence my reason for looking for, finding and installing FFC.

There are plenty of web links to on-line converting but I don't really want that. Of course, could always move to Office 2007 or above, but not only is there an expense involved, but having 'kinda' tried it, I really don't like the ribbon, even though everyone says it is the best thing since sliced bread. Well, give me the sliced bread!

When I get this four week old image back to more or less where I had it before the message, I will make another image and then install FFC. Then I will know if it is the culprit or not.

Will post back when I get to that stage.

Libre Office can read/write docx files.

Thread Information