Precision T1700 - RAM Slot question

Thread: Precision T1700 - RAM Slot question

Precision T1700 - RAM Slot question

I have the SFF and have two slots populated with PC3 12800s so far. I have some 10600s and some 8500s laying around. Can I mix these in with the 12800s?

I got a Xeon on this Precision desktop.

Another question. I have 1 stick of 12800 as well. Can I use this for one slot and leave my other two slots populated? Or do I have to have both extra slots populated so all four slots are used. Otherwise I would have 3 slots populated. Does this matter?
    Note: My questions may be to help others
    Thanks, JB

I believe all ram will run at the slowest of the groups speed..... If you can tell the difference you are supper human.

Depending on what you do with the pc, I'd rather have a lost of slow ram versus not so much fast ram.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    I believe all ram will run at the slowest of the groups speed..... If you can tell the difference you are supper human.

Depending on what you do with the pc, I'd rather have a lost of slow ram versus not so much fast ram.
    Yes I have learned that about the speeds but what about the slots? Is it better to populate both extra slots or does that even matter if one slot is populated and one is empty. Do they work together or do they work one at a time?
    Note: My questions may be to help others
    Thanks, JB

8 gig of ram is 8 gig of ram.

Borrowed of the internet:

"Generally, it is not necessary to install RAM in pairs but most computers today support dual channel memory and there is a performance benefit to matched pairs. Generally though, more RAM even in not dual channel will out perform less RAM."
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Thread Information