[RESOLVED] Chrome has lost my profile

Thread: [RESOLVED] Chrome has lost my profile

Resolved [RESOLVED] Chrome has lost my profile

I didn't use my Computer #2 (hardware backup for #1, this one) for awhile, and found today that Chrome and Firefox had both reverted to their default profiles.

1--I use Chrome only for the site I work with, so I'm not overly familiar with it, and the Chrome forum is useless. I know where my profile is, but I don't know how to "tell" Chrome the location, which I've been using for years.

2--Firefox had done the same. I did "Run firefox.exe -P" to show it where my profile is, and it's still running the default profile.

No, no one else uses my computers. A friend says the grieblies wreak havoc inside your computers when you're not looking. Can I restore the 2 profiles from the ones on this computer, or will the different hardware make a difference?
    Last edited by foxy; April 15th, 2021 at 04:13 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Did Chrome and/or Firefox both auto-update themselves also?

Possibly useful links:

Firefox:
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/968729

Chrome:
    https://superuser.com/questions/7501...-user-settings

Chrome updates; my Firefox is old, pre-WEBExtensions, and I don't let it update. My primary browser is Waterfox, FF is just for certain pages that WF doesn't render properly

1--All the right data is already in the FF profile. It's just not using it.
    2--Oops, Chrome profile is gone. Can I restore it from this computer? Does the diff hardware matter?

Funny that both programs are doing the same thing. Maybe registry glitches pointing to the wrong folders?
    Last edited by foxy; April 15th, 2021 at 04:30 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My mistake. The Chrome folder is intact too, it's just not being used.

What Chrome profile IS being used?

https://www.howtogeek.com/207614/eve...file-switcher/

If Firefox is not updating, it should still be using whatever profile it was set to use. You have not logged in to Windows using a different user account, I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    I guess it's the default, with no extensions, settings or color scheme. And Google is the home page, definitely not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    If Firefox is not updating, it should still be using whatever profile it was set to use. You have not logged in to Windows using a different user account, I assume.
    I don't have any other Win account and no PW. I copied my profile from Waterfox to FF, because they actually can share identical profiles, now it looks like a cross between my profile and the default profile, but there is no default profile in the filing system.

Chrome is the most important one, because I use it for work. It would be a horror to rebuild. I just tried copying my Chrome profile from this computer to that one, but nothing is changed.

How about the registry? Are there keys I can correct?

Couldn't you have simply adjusted Chrome to where you want it in less time?

Do you have more than one WINDOWS Profile?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Couldn't you have simply adjusted Chrome to where you want it in less time?

Do you have more than one WINDOWS Profile?
    Extension updates for work are sent to us directly, not from downloads. 2 of the extensions can't be rebuilt, which is why it was important for me to have that computer as a backup. And I can't reproduce the bookmarks and history.

I've found the other user, the Administrator. I might have set it up years ago. The default FF profile is in Appdata>Local>Mozilla>FF>profiles,

but the equivalent Google Chrome profile is empty. I copied the Chrome profile from this machine to the right place in that one, but it's not being used. Is there a way to point the program to that profile? Chrome is a PITA, I don't understand its construction, but I have to use it.
    Last edited by foxy; April 16th, 2021 at 11:17 AM.

Can't edit.

I reconstructed the FF profile from this computer, but it doesn't work in Chrome. The other help I see online all tell you to just copy it from one computer to the other.

Profile on this machine is for current version, 90-something, not earlier version.
    Already restored from this computer into the "default folder" 3 times. The 3rd time, the bookmarks showed up, but not my settings and extensions. Duplicated the settings only. Most important extension is being blocked, others have to be downloaded again.

Thanks for your time. I try posting the problem elsewhere.

I'm just rebuilding the Chrome profile from scratch, probably shorter than finding the problem.

When you get everything working again, it might be time to think about making making periodic image backups so you can restore to working conditions when Chrome auto-updates itself next.

I have images of this machine, my primary. That computer is my hardware and data backup of this one. O_o

One final word on this for posterity: Just tried it on a friend's computers. Copying a Chrome profile from computer to computer doesn't work, meaning that backing it up doesn'T work.. You can't do this the way you copy Mozilla profiles. If I didn't need it for work, I wouldn't even touch Chrome.

Thread Information