E-mail default program

Thread: E-mail default program

E-mail default program

What ho one and all,

Yet another issue that is annoying me!!!

I know that my e-mail program (a hacked OE6 that I found and pretty much does what the XP version of OE6 does) is not what MS want me to use, but it works as I like.

However, incoming mail with *.docx attachments are annoyingly, opening in Wordpad. I have been to Settings / Default Programs and pointed WinWord (Office 2003) as the default docx program but still e-mail attachment open in Wordpad.

The strange thing is, when I open Default Programs, docx says MS Office Word, but when selecting Browse, Wordpad is the default selected. Even if I select Office again, and it is still listed as default, but still attachments do not open as I want.

Is there a setting within OE6 / Tools / Options to set the default opening?

Thanks and toodle pip

Unless your hacked version of OE6 has the file association hard-coded, it should be possible to change it.

Possibly useful link:

https://www.datanumen.com/blogs/3-wa...word-document/

Solved after a lot of attempts. Needed MS Compatibility Pack, but most that I found were for the more recent Office 2007 and would not install with the message that my software was not compatible.

Or that W7 is no longer supported and the download is not available.

But I have found one, MS File format Converter, installed and now the docx attachments open correctly.

But since searching for a solution, I am now being plagued by this message which is most strange as have a legit version of W7 and it was installed around 4 months ago without any warning messages.

Attachment 15479

Close it an it goes away so don't know what is going on here? Interestingly, Computer/Properties/Activate Now says that W7 is activated. May be my W7 is not as legit as I was lead to believe.

What is going on, unless MS does not like the fact that I am not upgrading to W10?
    Last edited by Rekusu; April 16th, 2021 at 04:56 PM.

That message could be due to malware added to the "MS File Format Converter" if you did not get it from Microsoft's web site. The message is almost certainly fake. Time for a scan with Malwarebytes.

Thanks; interesting. I did not get the file converter from MS as their message either told me that it was not available for W7 support finished) or wanted me to create an MS account which I have no reason to do.

It has been coming for the past few days and given the number of monitor calibration software I have been tying, probably from one of those.

Will run a scan.

Thread Information