Monitor Calibration

Thread: Monitor Calibration

Monitor Calibration

What ho one and all,

And so the problems continue!!!!

I have a Pantone colorvision Spyder 2 Pro monitor calibration toy complete with all the software. Certainly it is form the XP era and under that os, it did what it said on the box.

But under W7, nothing is simple.

The software installs without any issue, but when I plug in the measuring device, and go through the various options for initial set-up, the message appears that the device driver is not correctly installed. Seems that it is not digitally signed and W7 requires a digital signature.

I found a similar issue from a Google search and the recommended work-around was to install the updated legacy software 2.3.5 for Vista and that it works just fine under W7.

Certainly, it installs without a problem, but when the calibrator is plugged into the USB port, it still tells me that the device is not recognised.

If this is a digital signature issue, how do I solve it?

Thanks and toodle pip

Quick Question - Does your monitor need calibration?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

It is an old Dell UltraSharp and with XP, I was calibrating it every 6 months suing the Spyder 2 screen gadget and the OSD to adjust according to what the calibration software advise.

When completed, the before and after was not significantly different, so the simple answer to your question is, probably not, but what do I know. As I do quite a lot of photography (and some of it is used in local publications) it is nice to know that the monitor is more or less right.

Strangely, the Spyder 2 Pro software installs without any issues but the USB plug-in spyder does not register. When I go though the program set-up defaults, Spyder 2 is listed but then says 'Sorry, nothing was detected.' In Device Manager it is shown as a USB ! but when I check the drivers, etc, and Driver Update, the result is the current installed driver is the most up-to-date.

I have tried a few other freeware programs but none of them see the Spyder either, and more importantly, I cannot see how / where one can actually calibrate the monitor.

I have followed some of the advice regarding unsigned drivers, but still, it is not seen. And now I have a Test Mode Windows 7 Build 7601 message in the bottom right of the screen. I see the explanation so have more to read!

If I have no luck, I will restore an image before I tried all these calibration software.
    Last edited by Rekusu; April 14th, 2021 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks; very useful links, particularity the Vegas one.

Will restore to before trying to get Spyder working and try again following the guide.

Already have DisplayCAL installed, and it does list my Spyder 2 colorimeter but it is a complex program with many options (which I don't fully understand.) However, at no point does the Calibrate button become active.

So don't know what is going on.

The old drivers are not signed, so Windows Vista and later will not use them as they may contain malware. Since we know they don't, you need to enable unsigned drivers to be installed.

Thread Information