A whole bunch of VPN offers

Thread: A whole bunch of VPN offers

A whole bunch of VPN offers

How does one evaluate a VPN? I have been using Mozilla for a few months and I find get messages a site could not be found or it took too long to get a response will go away when I turn it off. I am a private, personal user, not a business. Lots of others out there, some very low priced and some much more costly. So what should I use to evaluate these different VPN outfits?

I don't understand what this means..

I find get messages a site could not be found or it took too long to get a response will go away when I turn it off
    What exactly are you hoping to accomplish using a VPN?

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Advertising indicates a VPN will keep us from being followed by evil ones! I understand it protects users. By the "What I do not understand" I mean that I click on a link to some site or attempt to login to a site and the message comes up in Edge that the site has taken too long to respond or is not available, and this is with the VPN turned on. So I turn the VPN off and retry to connect and to the site and it opens. For a couple of my login sites -- I do not remember just which now -- I have learned to just turn the VPN off before attempting to login. There are several VPN sites that one can use. So what criteria does one use to evaluate the value of the protection each site offers versus the other? Why would one not want to use a VPN?

the site has taken too long to respond or is not available
    Many websites, esp financial institutions, gov't services, etc that require you to log in are programmed to not respond (or give a warning) to known VPN and/or public IP address ranges because they want to know the log in is coming from your own verifiable IP address to prevent fraud.

I found that when I tried to use a VPN a number of years ago that all of my gmail emails were constantly flagged so every time I sent or received one I got a warning from the email provider that they see a new or different IP address and asked if it was actually me. Way too annoying to deal with so I stopped using a VPN at home in general.

I only use one now if I (rarely) use a public wifi service so all my data is doubly encrypted for privacy and security. I would also use one IF I lived in a country where I knew that authorities were monitoring my communications.

In general when I"m at home on line I am satisfied just making sure the sites I connect with are HTTPS so my data is encrypted to and from them. The latest FFox browser has HTTPS Only built in for protection although it's available as an addon for other browsers.

https://blog.mozilla.org/security/20...tps-only-mode/

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Many thanks for your response with the links. I will check them out. When using the internet we need to be safe.

Thanks for your response. I like to drive on the highway defensively, but I can not drive paranoidly, expecting ever vehicle to hit me. In using the internet I want to have a good defense but want to take care I am not paranoid. The reply with links to check out and your reply with comments help greatly. Many thanks.

Thread Information