USB connection to Galaxy J5

Thread: USB connection to Galaxy J5

USB connection to Galaxy J5

Another Galaxy J5 issue!

I cannot connect my J5 to the W7 computer with the supplied cable. I have installed the Samsung SideSwtich software and sometime it works. I have reinstalled it, and it even shows under the StartUp tab in msconfig.

But usually, nothing; cannot transfer anything.

The more annoying issue is that when I was using XP, I never had to install additional software and the phone connected to the computer with no issues.

I don't know what to do next? Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks and toodle pip

Can you connect the phone to a different computer using the same cable?

Guessing you meant SMART Switch.... Have to ask-> Did you launch it on both devices?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Yes, but it is not an easy process, unlike using XP. My mistake, it is called SideSync4.

I have just managed to transfer another photo, and although somewhat easier than yesterday, still take around 3 minutes before everything swings into gear.

I have two separate Samsung folders installed, one in each of Prog files and Prog files x86. One is SideSync1.exe and takes too long to load whatever, the other has USB drivers but there is no *.exe file. See the attachments.

Attachment 15471

Attachment 15472

As far as i can see, there is a piece of software installed, but when I connected the J5 today, the installing new software message appears in the lower right of the screen, which when enlarged shows:

Attachment 15473

I takes a long time to install and then we are good to go. But annoyingly, this happens every time.

As mentioned, never had to install anything with XP; it just worked!!!

Instead of trying to install the Samsung drivers via Windows Update, try installing it manually.

https://developer.samsung.com/mobile...sb-driver.html

FYI - SMART Switch is the name of the File Transfer software that Samsung ships with their new phones.

Thanks fro the link. I don't know where I found the version (1.5 that I currently have but am upgrading to the one in the link as that is 1.7.

Which raises anther question; after 2 mins of installation, this is what I have!

Attachment 15474

Since I have apparently, saved the *.exe file, why would it take so long to install?

Plus, the directions on the file link says "You need the driver only if you are developing on Windows and want to connect a Samsung Android device to your development environment over USB." I am not developing anything so presumably, my J5 should be Plug n Play without any additional software?

Still installing!!!! After around 15 mins

Attachment 15475

Not even Photoshop CS6 takes this long.

Plugged the J5 in with the USB again today to transfer a photo. This time, the computer 'sees' the phone and gives a message, 'Installing Software.' Did not manage to get a screenshot.

Happened without much hoopla, still took a couple of mins, but since the software was installed yesterday, how come every-time I plug the phone in, software has to be 'installed' again. Perhaps it is just loading, but 2 mins to connect to a storage device?

That is very odd. Once you install the drivers, it shouldn't prompt you again. Unless there is an option on the phone itself about installing drivers? Or maybe it's an issue with that Sidesync program?

May be something was not installed correctly. Plugged it in today and it fired up without installing the software again.

Hope the issue has solved itself.

Thanks for the input.

Toodle pip

Can you connect the phone to a different computer using the same cable?

Am running W7 now and all appears to be resolved. Every time I connect the phone, Explorer shows it as a new device, and as long as the phone is switched on, I can transfer images, no problems.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Toodle pip

Samsung J5 was a good phone but the memory storage is very less that's why it gets hanged.

Thread Information